Numbness in face and arms from anxiety?!?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have recently been dealing with numbness in my face (mostly left side but migrates over to the right) also in my mouth under my tongue and in both my arms. They also feel weak. I went to the ER twice last week, first time they said I was fine and didn't do any testing. Second time they did a CT scan and said all was clear and sent me off with some asprin. I am currently switching my meds frompaxil to Zoloft and I take buspar depending on how bad my anxiety is that day. I recently had a session with my therapist that delved into me never grieving my brother who passed away when I was 7. She thinks this numbness is correlated with the last session. She's also my GP and she thinks it's nothing to worry about but will monitor it. I can't help but to think there's something else wrong like MS. I've never experienced these symptoms before from anxiety...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey hope you get problem sorted I'm having the same issues as you suffered from anxiety ever since I've had my son and I'm getting numbness in my arms and tingling like pins and needles apparently this is a common side affect of anxiety thought I'd comment on yours as maybe your someone who can relate to how uncomfortable and panicky it makes you feel feeling these sensations. I start thinking oh goodness I'm having a heart attack silly I know rolleyes but maybe you felt same way too drop me a reply if you can relate Maybe we can share advice smile 

• Posted

I have also had a numbness feeling in the left side of my face for a few weeks now! Hopefully it subsides with time, I personally have had a fear of MS which doesn't help the anxiety either

• Posted

Oh boy - those nasty tingles in the face and arms. Yes, I've had that on and off for over a decade now. In the past it would happen during times of high anxiety, but now it happens to me right before a full blown panic attack. It's actually the result of your breathing, you know. If you can learn to control your breathing, these feelings will gradually go away. I promise. 

Look up belly breathing on the web. Lots of free videos and what not. Don't worry - these tingles and numb feelings can't hurt you. 

BEST smile 

• Posted

Hey. I've also had numbness and tingling in face mainly lips. Initially I thought it was coming off citalophram but I've also had head trauma month ago that could have resulted in nerve/neck issue + previous whiplash injury years ago - ugh. Receiving xrays next week so will find out if it's side effects of coming off the meds or other issue.

Good luck :-)

• Posted

I have suffered the numbness in ny left arm and left side of my face for 3 years now. I have had tests done.. seen a neurologists they can't determine what is causing this... it drives me insane.it comes and goes.

• Posted

I have noticed it happens alot during a panic attack. When Im having bad anxiety I tend to hyperventilate myself without even knowing it. Lack of oxygen can cause numbness and tingling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.