Numbness in hands and feet?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi 

I've been trying to moderate my drinking on my own without success.

My numbers have been going up actually.

I have tried Naltrexone (followed a specific method for years and finally gave up), Trazodone, Baclofen (had to give up at 220mg due to side effects).

Kudzu,Glutamine etc etc. Moderate success at times (7 units) now at 14.

Been fighting this battle actively for years and managed okay 

but am now isolating and drinking more. It doesn't help that I just turned 43 and my body can't hack it anymore. I also have haemochromatosis which was under control but now my Dr is starting to ask questions as my saturation is up..I lied about the amount I drink. Anyway has anyone experienced numbness due to drinking? Trying to figure out what is causing it.

Thanks so much in advance

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You should go back and discuss this with your doctor, but in the mean time google:

Alcohol Peripheral Neuropathy

I'm not saying that's what it is, as I'm not a medical professional and I'm not qualified to diagnose. 

Did you use Naltrexone per The Sinclair Method? 

• Posted

Why did lie about your drinking? Do you think you life is just a lie or some kind of game.

At your age l would hope not pull yourself and get the help you need and deserve.

• Posted

Kenny are you on the wrong forum? Whose lying. You're not maki g sense
  • Posted

HI Tera. I have never hear of haemochromatosis  and had to google. Iron overlaoad does not sound like easy to live with you but it is under control it seems. More importantly, be honest with you GP and you are more likely to get help. I cannot say that I have experienced numbness when I was drinking but was woderning if is it related to haemochromatosis ?? Just a thought. Best of luck! Robin
    • Posted

Robin I've just done exactly the same as you! I've never had any problems with numbness either. 

• Posted

First, ignore Kenny, he is judgemental and believes the only way to conquer alcohol is willpower alone.

"I also have haemochromatosis which was under control but now my Dr is starting to ask questions as my saturation is up..I lied about the amount I drink"

That's not good, I too also have haemochromatosis and my saturation levels are above 65%. Your GP will know the situation and I don't want to come across as someone who is telling you off, but what is the point of seeing your GP and then not telling them the truth?

I presume you go to your GP because you are at a lifestage where you know your body is going to start breaking down and you are starting to experience symptoms and frankly it has you worried, as it should. If you ignore warning signs and your body asking for help, you're heading for trouble.

Go see your GP, be honest, tell them you don't want a lecture about the perils of drinking, you are aware of that, but you have tried various methods which have not had much success. Tell them you need help, but counselling won't cut it, you mind and body had been chemically changed by the alcohol over the years (that is true) and it will take a medication to try and rectify that.

Your central nervous system is probably shot and your neuro pathways will have been changed so that your brain thinks that there is a problem when you don't have alcohol in your system and it sends a message - alcohol required.

• Posted

Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency occurs due to excessive drinking. This can cause peripheral neuropathy and may people who have drinking large amounts get numbness or pins and needles. It also, in the long term, can cause alcohol related dementia.

You need to take Thiamine tablets which you can either get prescribed by your GP or buy over the counter. 100mg twice a day for two or three months should fix the problem but you would normally notice a big improvement pretty soon after starting on the pills.

It;s a pretty standard treatment given to people with alcohol issues, however, you need to do something about the drinking too as there is no point taking Thiamine and then drinking so much that it gets cancelled out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.