numbness in left foot underneath

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have posted recently re.. knee operation, but prior to that have been getting a numbness on the underside of my left foot. It is there all the time. Could this probably be poor circulation or arthritis, the latter causing me to have hip and knee replacements, or a combination, do you think, please?

Might exercise help? Age of 77 must be a factor.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm no expert but numbness  doesn't sound like arthritis to me, more like neuropathy. Exercise if you are able to, I'm  sure that would be helpful.  Are you diabetic by any chance as I think foot problems are quite common if you are.
    • Posted

Thank you, i very much doubt the diabetic angle, as I would be tested recently in hospital,when having knee replacement but will certainly follow it up
  • Posted

Good answer from Jane - sounds a lot like it could be diabetic neuropathy - have you had your blood sugar tested recently?  Another possibility but not as likely, is Morton's Neuroma - quite common in people with lower limb or hip OA as their gait is affected.  MN is damage to the nerves under the foot, usually at the base of the toes or ball of the foot.  Mostly it causes pain on treading but sometimes numbness as well.  However the diabetic cause is probably more likely and important to get checked out.
    • Posted

Thank yo so much for detailed reply and will do as you suggest. The tendency is to automatically think it is an age thing, arteries etc.
  • Posted

My mum had trouble with her foot and was sent to a foot clinic,she was given an exercise to do which was getting a bottle of water sitting in a chair and rolling her foot over the bottle,it does sound strange but it did actually work.
    • Posted

thank you , I have heard of this exercise, but didn't occur to me and can see how it may help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.