Numbness in my toes 8 weeks after a lateral malleolus fracture.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello 8 weeks ago I slipped on wet grass. I have a lateral malleolus fracture which is the fibular also chipped my tibular. I spent 6 weeks in a cast no weight bearing. I had the cast taken of 12 days ago and now have a boot. Gradually starting to weight bare. The doctor said it was 70% healed wear the boot for 4 weeks then see them again. Since I had the cast off i have had numbness in my toes while im wearing the boot or not. The top of my foot is still very discoloured red/purple like rash. Today I have been in agony with what I think is the muscle in the back of my calf. To the point I'm crying. Anyone else experienced this? Or suggestions of help would be brilliant.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Any numbness is nerve related. At least if you had Or if surgery. Probably other surgeries as well.
    • Posted

I didn't have surgery. They said the bones were in a good enough place to just leave it.

• Posted

So sorry you are in such pain! The numbness is most probably nerve issues. Try to move the toes and wiggle them as frequently as possible. The leg cramping could just be the muscle being used again, maybe some potasium would help as that eases muscles. (always ask your doctor!) and I would reach out anyway and have the leg checked as bad cramping could be a number of things and it's better safe than sorry. Good luck!

• Posted

I am 19 weeks post op from ORIF surgery to fix 3 breaks in my ankle and the top of my toes, the top of my foot, and the front of my shin still tingle. I can feel them, but they don't quite feel normal. With that said I do have more sensation in those areas then I did a few weeks after my surgery. I also had issues with my affected foot turning a reddish purple color when I would stand up, but that has improved greatly over rhe past few weeks.

• Posted

once time you injured your ankle and long time immobilization reduces the function of your ankle it may be every fractures fibula, tibula, talus, or even toes. It needs time 1-2 years to fully back to function if the bone healed well. 2-3 month immobilization and nwb can cause sleeping of muscles and after beginning mobilization and using them cause pain. tingling when you use your ankle or walk may be reason of not using ligaments and muscles. we don't know when the tingling goes off or they may never dissappear because you injuried them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.