Numbness in right leg after laying flat on back and tingling in right arm

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys, I've been having this issue for the past few months: when I lay flat on my back in bed my right leg starts to go numb after 10-15 minutes. Now I'm getting occasional tingling feelings in my right arm. My right leg has some pain. I believe the issue started with my mattress which is too firm and I have not yet replaced. However I've added multiple layers of cushioning including a memory foam topper, sleeping pad, down comforter and other layers to make it cushy and the problem still persists.

My friend recommended I start weight lifting more to add "padding" to help protect the nerves which I think is good advice. Is there anything else you guys can recommend? Thank you for any help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

go see your gp in case its ur bk dont leave bad back it's too dangerous go get a scan if needed hun I ended up in a right state 20 plus years ago still suffer now

• Posted

Make sure you keep warm because sometimes that can help thaw out your arm/leg Keeping my arms under the duvet at night does give me some relief. Holding my hot mug of coffee on the affected area is great too. Heat is the only thing that works for me. When I am in Italy during the summer, three months of boiling sun really works wonders and my neuropathy disappears.

There are no permanent solutions for this condition; only temporary fixes.I would be careful doing strenuous exercise like weight lifting because that could put pressure on the nerves and trap them. For me, weight bearing actually triggers my neuropathy. Simple things like carrying shopping bags, even light ones, caused yet another nerve to get trapped for three months.

• Posted

The only thing to be careful about if you see your doctor is that they will try to get you on low dose anti depressants /anti convulsants for the neuropathy. These drugs can have horrible side effects and leave you with more problems than you started with. My doctor tried to do that with me, but i refused any medication. I have learned to live with the dodgy nerve conduction which was in part caused by a badly done blood test. Try natural solutions first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.