Numbness on pad of foot after Achilles’ tendon surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am really hoping to get some feedback because i am really worried. I am 4 weeks post op from having surgery on my achilles tendon, my plantars fasciia tendon and also my peroneous longus tendon. I know this was alot and i have been not weight bearing so i dont know what it will be like trying to finally bear weight after so much but my concern is that i have no feeling at all on the pad of my foot under my toes and my pinky toe is numb. Could something have gone wrong with the surgery for me to have no feeling in this area when that is not even where the tendons are that were worked on. I mentioned it to my doctor at my 2 week post op and he didnt really offer me anything other than scare me to death by saying sometimes he may have to go back in and unkink a nerve . I am terrified of having to have more surgery when i am still recovering from this one.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I feel your concern & pain, completely! I am 7 weeks post op. i had Ankle fusion and Achilles release. I also have zero feeling in my foot. My surgeon seemed confused as to that fact and said we will review it again in 4 weeks. My foot is so swollen. I spent at least 12 hours on ice yesterday and took anti inflamatories and it makes no difference. Nothing makes any difference. I slipt and fell this morning. No idea of I hurt it because it has no feeling! And, I am weight bearing. How do you weight bear with no feeling. It is hard.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble! It is sad that the ones we look to for advice can't offer us more than just we will assess it later. My surgeon did the same thing. He said "Lets not get ahead of ourselves and we will look at it again later but for now lets get you up and walking" ughhhh! I have resorted to reading patient forums for advice.

I am 5 weeks post op now and have been told to put limited weight on my foot this week with the aide of crutches but like you i find it hard (and scary) when i still have numbness and also i had 3 different tendons worked on and one incision is on the bottom of my foot so you can imagine how much that hurts to be told to walk on it. Weight bearing just isnt working for me right now.

I will tell you what i have found helps me. i am seeing a little improvement in my numbness. I think a big contributing factor in my numbness is swelling. Once i was finally able to take a shower i ran the warm water over my foot and when i got out i massaged the bottom of my foot and rolled my foot side to side and front to back and within a couple hours i realized a part of my foot started having feeling again. i am going to continue this and hopefully keep seeing it wake up. if you beleive in essential oils i massage tumeric on my foot around the in incisions (not on). Tumeric is an anti inflammatory. you can also take Tumeric capsules. i still have swelling but my surgeon said he would expect a lot more swelling than what i have.

Good luck!

• Posted

Have you been given any guide line to how long they expect the swelling to last? I have heard Tumeric is good. I will look into it! I see my doctor tomorrow, I am going to get stronger anti inflamatories as well. My heel hasn't touched the floor for 3 years so there are adjustments happening.

• Posted

I think from everything I have read that the swelling is different patient to patient but the one thing thats been consistent in my research is it can last for months. I am assuming the more we begin walking on it again and our foot gets used to that the swelling will lessen. I had the same problem with my toes going purple when i would put my foot down and after doing it a little more each day they dont turn purple anymore. I hate your swelling is so bad but dont let it freak you out. You had major surgery and this is all normal in the healing process. Of course talk to your doctor tomorrow but im sure he/she will tell you the same thing.

Let me know how your appointment goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.