Numbness, Pain and Tingling in Leg and Hand. Burning and Itchy skin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so I've been suffering from numbness, pain and tingling in for almost 2 months in my left leg. It comes and goes. The pain is unbearable and feels like my bones are hurting.

Some background info: I started taking superfood supplements such as spirulina, chlorella, acai, turmeric etc. I may have overdosed on these tablets as I took one of each every day. It hadn't even been a week and I started developing severe numbness in my left leg. It just felt dead like I couldn't move it and I would find it difficult to walk. I stopped the tablets immediately and went back to a basic diet. The symptoms come and go but when they do come on it really hurts and feels like someone has put a block of ice in my leg. It's more of a sharp shooting pain with numbness. I went to my GP who ordered a full blood test. The results came as Vitamin D - 22 when the range should be 50> My iron levels were also low as 13 when they should've be above 15. My GP ordered Vitamin D tablets at 10,000 units which I have been taking and have another week left. Before I was prescribed the Vitamin D Tablets I decided to sit out in the sun for about 30 minutes. I usually don't expose my skin to a lot of sun as I do wear sunscreen when I step out. Later on that evening I started to become itchy alotll over my body including my face. I had a burning sensation on my lower back which felt like I had a heat patch on my lower back.

I ignored these symptoms thinking they would go away. A week had passed away and I couldn't take it anymore. I was advised to take Clarityn/Piriton which didn't clear it up. GP prescribed stringer antihistamines Fexofenadine. It's been about 3 weeks a d the itch has somewhat reduced but hasn't completely gone. Is this a general itch related to sitting out in sun or is it a nerve related itch. Around the same I injured my hand when I fell down and all pressure came onto my hand. Since then I've been feeling weakness, heaviness in my right arm and hand.

My MRI has come back as normal. My B12 levels were 341. I've been referred to a neurologist. In the meanwhile GP has asked me to get my Foliate checked.

I don't understand if it's nerve damage, Vitamin D deficiency or Vitamin toxicity from the earlier supplements I was taking. I'm very confused and doctors don't seem to give a clear answer. I've not been able to sleep well due to the burning, itching and numbness/pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think you need a complete cbc including a liver panel and definitely have your platelets and hematocrit checked.  There is a disease called polycythemia Vera which I have and extreme itchiness is a very common symptom. Does the itchiness get relief if you take Benadryl?  Just a thought.  Not trying to scare you bacause I'm hopefully wrong.

• Posted

Haemicrit is 0.37 [0.37-0.46]

Red blood cell count 4.45 10*12/L [3.8-5.8]

Haemoglobin concentration 122 [115.0-165.0]

Total white blood count 4.3 [4.0-11.0]

Platelet observation 234 [150.0-400.00]

I've not tried taking Benadryl. I'm on Fexofendaine and been given one months course. It does make bit of a difference but it hasn't eradicated the itching.

• Posted

Hi faz well your numbers look good.  It's not polycythemia Vera.  Try taking Benadryl.  Also you could get the Benadryl cream and rub it on the itchy skin.  I wish you well.  I hope you find your answer.  Zap

• Posted

Hi Zap. Thanks for your response. I have tried taking the usual anti histamine but their response to the itching has been quite slow. The tablets I'm taking right now are a stronger version with 180mg in each tablets. Usual over the counter anti histamines contain 10mg or less. Do you know which specific tablet of Benadryl would be good for the itch. There are quite a few on the market. This whole itch only happened after sitting out in the blazing heat for half hour. No rash is accompanied.

I'm on Vitamin D as well right now which does give me the burning sensation on my back. I don't have a choice but to finish the course. The units are high but that's what I've been prescribed. I have another 2 weeks to go. I really hope the itch isn't nerve related.

• Posted

Hi Faz the Benadryl I take says for Allergy.  I have polycythemia Vera which causes itching cause it raises the histamines to the surface. I'm on that site.  A lot of people take a combo of Zyrtec and Zantac. I know it sounds weird with the Zantac, which is for the stomach.  But 1 is an h1 blocker and the other is an h2 blocker. But I don't believe you have Pv.  Could you lower the vitamin D? What exactly have you been dx with?  Hope you can find relief.  Zap

• Posted

Hi Zap. I have a few more Vitamin D tablets which I'm trying to finish because the GP prescribed these specific units and is the maximum daily dose. I did skip a few days because I couldn't bear the burning sensation and bone pain in my foot. I'm back on them now. I will get my levels checked after to see of its stable.

The itchiness is mainly on the face. It started all over including scalp, ears and rest of body. It has reduced but hasn't gone away completely. I'm continuing with the anti histamines and will go back to the GP to see what it could be. Have no idea if it's yet Vitamin D deficiency causing this or some nerve damage. I've read somewhere that nerve damage can cause itchiness.

• Posted

Hi faz maybe it's an overload of vitamin D.  It doesn't sound like nerve damage to me, but I'm no dr.  I guess we could bounce this around till we're blue I the face and still come up with nothing.  But we could try!  I would go back to the Dr asap.  Something is wrong and you need to find out.  The itch is a real b__ch.  been there.  Keep us posted.  Zap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.