Numbness & Pain in Both Legs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been strugleing with leg pain for multiple years. In the early days it was isolated to only my right left and specific in the toes. After finding a bulged disc (L4-L5) and failing physical therapy, steroid injects, etc the decision was made to perform a laminectomy and the problem went away, for a while.

A year or so later the same issue presented itself (but L5-S1 this time) and the same procedure was performed. Again the pain went away, for a while.

I am now experiencing similar pain/numbness but this time in both legs. Specifically, my pinky toe in either side is almost entirely numb and it spreads to each adjacent toe while decreasing in numbness wherein my big toe is ~10% numb. I then have nerve pain traveling up from my feet into the back/outside portion of my calves which is constant with occasional jolts of pain. I also have pain originating in the lower portion of my back which is constant with occational jolts of pain. This pain is as though it's vertebrae/disc (i.e. not nerve/muscular) related unlike the calve pain. 

I have had MRIs which only show a "light bulge with no touching of the sciatic nerve" and Nerve tests which show that everything should be working normally. The spinal center of which I am a patient has been exhaustive in their tests they can run and have now referred me to a neurologist. I am awaiting the first appointment with them but have little hope in terms of a breakthrough.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ask for a skin biopsy too be done
    • Posted

Hello May I ask the reason for requesting a skin biopsy?

• Posted

A skin biopsy will rule out types of nerve damage the symptoms a I've

Could be a type of nerve damage or a nerve pressures on the sciatica nerve

• Posted

Wow, you sound just like me. I have been at this for years w, fusions L3,L4,L5 and S1 - I do have nerve damage and the numbness, burning, sharp hot pain, loss of muscle control around ankle (which can just give out and so can fall easil) etc, etc.  I have found that this is a hit and miss sort of medical issue with no for sure fix. Neurologist sounds like a good next 
  • Posted

Oops l  step.  I have had to struggle w a keen sense of sadness I was not me anymore and I mourned that loss. You may face similar issues so just a heads up to you. In my situation there has been improvement but no real cure. I sure wish you the very best outcome! You face a struggle keep at it you are now a warrior and determination is your new best friend. Hugs are incoming!
  • Posted

Push for a punch test. It will see if u have small fiber. Neuropathy. Tough diagnosis.

Not much they can do for u. I have it. It was like yours quicknto get worse. I actually thought I had it under control. Then from hands chest head even butt with bolts.

I hate to say the diagnosis make it more legit - or else they think u r nuts.

Good luck. Lyrica not neurotin helped with the pain. Check Vitamin B levels

How is your thyroid. That gets affected too with Sfn.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.