Numbness/pins & needles

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all.

I've had these sensations in my nose and part of my right eye since November, also a blocked nose since mid December.

Had an Mri scan & Ct scan which revealed some problems with my sinuses(not major) also close relationship between left trigeminal and adjacent blood vessel. Booked in to see the neurologist soon.

It seems according to the report vascular contact of the inferior & medial surface of the trigeminal nerve.

Looking where that nerve is(lower down the face) could this still be a cause of my problem?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Colin.......I am new to TN. Was diagnosed last August. My pain has been from my forehead down my eyebrow thru my eye. Also my nose and down into teeth and jaw. The trigeminal nerve can affect the entire side of your face. I was having the pins and needles on my eye. Went to my optometrist and he said it was caused by severe dry eye. Have to use eye drops 4-6 times a day. It has helped a lot. I sincerely hope this helps a little.
  • Posted

Hi,

In a nutshell....Yes. From the spinal cord the nerve divides into left and right, and once it enters the face it divides into three branches. One covers the eye and forehead and part of the nose,one the upper teeth,lips and cheek and the lower branch covers the jaw and lower teeth and lips. Any one or more of the branches can be active at any given time.

Good luck with diagnosis, treatment and managing the condition.

• Posted

Many thanks for both your replies.

Yes I've noticed the three branches of the trigeminal nerve coming into the face, I just presumed the lower nerve (Mandibar, which seems to be my problem) wouldn't of caused these sensations or blocked nose.

That would of been the Maxillary branch as that's in the area of my troubles.

I guess I'll find out soon enough when I see the neurologist.

• Posted

Carl. One other thing. When I had my MRI it showed I had a sinus infection only on my right side which is my TN side. I had no idea I even had it. Please keep us informed.
    • Posted

I've seen a neurologist who said things seemed fine from the scan. I told him that I now have permanent tingling and irritation behind my right eye. Also still in the bridge of my nose too. The right nostril is still blocked since Xmas.

I'm not in any pain but it really bothers me. He's said there could still be something wrong with the main nerve in that area and the scan hasn't picked it up. I've now got to see a diferent neurologist who's more qualified aparantly in this area.

• Posted

Carl. My neurologist did not see anything on my MRI but a minor sinus infection on TN side and a malformation that had nothing to do with TN either. Said I could have been born that way. However, from the pain I was having he knew it was TN and prescription he gave me had been controlling it, thank heaven. I hope this new neurologist will have explanation. When do you see him?
    • Posted

Shortly At Salford Royal.

At first my consultant from the Maxillofacial said he was fairly sure from the scan it was Sinus related. These were what came up via the CT & MRI scan.

Mild mucosal thickening.narrowing of the distal in fur. Ethmoid bulla is enlarged on the right. Ethmoid sinuses have mild mucosal thickening. The drainage pathway is narrowed.

When the ENT seen these results he said that's nothing. In fact he said if I grabbed 10 people off the street 9 would have those exact problems show up.

So up to now it's a bit of a mystery.

• Posted

It's in 3 weeks. So this will be the second neurologist. Hopefully there's some answers.

It's such a strange sensation to have & it's just there all the time. It doesn't even come and go.

I also had some absolutely shocking stabbing pains. Like electric shocks over the Xmas period, right side of my head, maybe 30 to 40 a day for one week, lasting only 2-3 seconds. The Dr put me on amtripytelyne and since I've taken them the pain went.

• Posted

I'm certainly not a Dr but it sure sounds like TN. There are two different kinds of TN. Carl, google FAcial Pain Association. They have a free booklet all about TN. Might help you to understand. Keep us informed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.