Numbness / "Pins & Needles" Sensation in hands....

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diabetic (type II) for over 10 years now.  I have  had a little numbness in my feet, previously, but for the past 5-6 months now I have been experiencing pins and needles sensation and some numbness in my hands. (my job has me on a computer most of the time)  My doctor sent me to a good Neurologist and he is starting me on a low dosage of Gabapentin (100 mg.).  The instructions on the prescription says I am to start with 1 capsule at night for a week. Then take one in the morning and one in the evening time, and slowly increase the dosage, as directed, to eventually up to 300 mg.  I  have heard that this medicine can make you sleepy.  I have a concern about that, because I work during the day.

Has any one else been on this medication, for diabetic neuropathy and did it work for you (ie., take away the numbness and or pain, etc.)?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ms. Ginny,

I took Gabapentin (Neurontin) for years for diabetic neuropathy, ma'am, and can tell you that it DID work for my neuropathic pain, BUT I was on such massive doses, though within the recommended daily dose allowance, that it did, in fact, make me more than sleepy.  I was almost unconscious for about 20-22 hours per day.  (I was taking 800 mg x 4 times a day, equalling 3200 mg/day.)

I would suggest that you DO take the medication as prescribed, ma'am, and see how it affects you.

The following webpage alerts you to what the side-effects MAY include.  This does NOT, however, mean that you WILL suffer them.  They are simply side-effects that have been reported by SOME people who take the medication.

[b]https://www.drugs.com/sfx/gabapentin-side-effects[b].html

I do hope that you get some relief, ma'am, as I do know how bad the pain can get with diabetic neuropathy.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended, or alarmed, by the 'x's'.  It's merely a logo, of sorts, that I've used for the past 40 years or so.

P.P.S. As an afterthought do try to keep your blood sugar (glucose) levels under control, as one of the main ways that diabetic neuropathy starts is due to poor diabetes control.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I talked with one of the doctors/practitioners that I work with and he explained it in a way that made better sense to me.  I will take the med as directed (it is going to be a low dose, so shouldnt be a problem) and I am always trying hard to keep my blood sugar levels down.  Peace, friend and have a great day!
  • Posted

Deficiency of B vitamins can cause numbness and it is known that metformin along with other things cause a deficiency in Vitamin B12.  It may be worth taking a Vitamin B complex supplement and see if things are helped but it may take some time to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.