NUMBNESS- PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would so appreciate any feedback or personal stories related to body numbness/pins & needles....I have seen 2 neurologists who had different opinions on what is going on with me- it's been going on for 3 months throughout my body especialy legs- was diagnosed by 1st neuro with cervical spinal stenosis with bulging disc (surgery recommended) & 2nd neuro said no way would disc bulge cause generalized numbness....running more tests... dont feel myself constantly numb body starts making you emotionally numb....i was always kind of an anxious person so I'm afraid I did this to myself....i'm petrified that it's going to get worse & doctors are not going to be able to figure out what is causing it...or do i trust 1st doctor who acted like surgery was going to fix all my problems....please- if anyone has similar experiences or advice please respond!!! Thanks!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can only reply by saying I would have the second opinion doctor run more tests. Surgery would be last resort for me. I too suffer with pins and needles in my extremities and weakness, especially on my left side. My neck has been hurting as well. Am seeing a neurologist this week, so will be interesting the outcome. Keep us posted
    • Posted

As Debbie suggested, your doctors may want to run more tests to rule out other conditions that could be causing or contribution to the numbness. You may even think about seeking out a 3rd or 4th opinion to accruately confirm the diagnosis. The American Academy of Neurology has a Find a Neurologist tool on their website that could help.
    • Posted

reply to caretothepeople...[shelbyrae] ★2

caretothepeople, ​Thanks for your advice....i went on american academy of neurology but couldnt find link for find a neurologist...thursday I will be getting my 3rd opinion from a neuro (all three are either diplomats of the American Boards of Psychiatry and Neurology or members) and came recommended.. My husband has MS and it's his dr. I will be seeing thurs.....it is so frustrating how long it takes to get an appointment!!! Now if I get a totally different opinion than the other 2 I've already had I'm lose my mind!!! Thanks for the advice &supportsmile  

• Posted

I had an instance of that. As background I have been seeing a medical massage therapist and chiropractor as well as doing physical therapy for symptoms caused by loss of curvature in the neck. I had a particularly rough week at work and hadn't realized I had a rib out at the same time I got sick (think it was strep but the doctor couldn't fit me in that week) so I was numb from my neck down to the back of my thighs which was really disconcerting. When it had been going on for about 8 days I mentioned it to my chiropractor on my next visit and he used a massage genie on me which has really strong vibrations. After about 12 minutes I could feel my body again, of course it was in pain because I had a rib out and had injured myself at work but I had been unaware of that because I was numb before. Apparently when the nerves are overactive it can result in swelling which pushed against the right areas causes numbness.

Your reason may be completly different but just thought I would share.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.