Numbness Post Op Ulnar Nerve Transposition

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an ulnar nerve transposition 2/22, 5 days post op, and I have a lot of numbness on my forearm below my elbow.. It was never numb before the surgery, only my pinky and the side of my hand.  I'm assuming this is from the surgery itself? Should I be concerned? Help?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The ulnar nerver ennervates the area on the outside of your forearm into the pinky and ring fingers. One of the consequences of a nerve transposition is numbness and tingling. I also had this procedure when I had my elbow replaced, and for awhile there was mild problems in my pinky and ring fingers , but now it is gone. Sometimes it heals itself, sometimes it doesn't. Be sure to talk to your Doctor about these symptoms, so they can be monitored. Your doctor may want to order some specific therapies to help with the healing. I have had regular weekly OT with hand & arm exercises to regain full function. I hope it feels better soon!

• Posted

Thank you for putting my mind at ease as at present I have problems with the pinky & ring finger after new elbow & breaking bones in my left arm which have been fitted with metal & screws. I'm now 5 weeks on & still on a heavy dose of pain killers yet it's my hand & fingers causing the most pain.

• Posted

Hi I  had ulnar nerve transposition on 30/4/18 and on Saturday the 5th started getting numbness in my pinky finger and side off hand, like where you would karate chop. Hoping it goes away in time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.