Numbness, tingling, pins and needles on one side?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having issues off and on over a three week period with n/t with pins and needles (n/t w/p&n) down left leg, back discomfort  in sciatic area on the left, and occasionally n/t w/p&n in my left forearm/hand. I have osteophytes in my neck that give me trouble off and on (mostly pain that spreads from the left side of my neck to my left shoulder blade) but I have never had n/t. My recent job change requires that I sit for long periods of time, so I’m trying to decipher if this is a sciatic issue or something else (like piriformis syndrome). I really don’t have excruciating pain, but the pain I do have goes from my left low back just above the buttock, sometimes around the left hip, and down my left buttock. It usually stops at the start of my leg. There’s also a numb/tight feeling in my left buttock. The numbness with pins and needles has happened twice in three weeks (it lasts for hours) and it’s so bad, that my leg feels weak and overworked the next day. Weird. The part that throws me is the left forearm/ hand that has happen within days of the leg. Possibly more of a neck than a back issue maybe?  Anyone else have this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have similar numbness and pins n needles on left side but your is intermittent so probably thats relatively not serious. Sitting for extended periods is terrible for sciatica!! It compresses your lumbar spine and can lead to nerve impingement. I'd advise you to see your doctor, get an x ray or MRI scan and try to get a causal diagnosis so you can get effective treatment. Probably stretch aimed at sciatic pain will suffice for a mild CD case like yours

• Posted

Many of the same symptoms only on the right side, go get a MRI and find the cause, then you can treat them. i was told I had a Herniated disc, Stenosis and of course Sciatica. I cannot go for a seven day exam and i do not want an open procedure, because of the time it will take to recover, i want a minimally invasive procedure.
  • Posted

You might be a good candidate for a Epidural Injection. doesn't seem like the symptoms to too bad, but the numbness is actually called preproception. its where the brain can't talk to those muscles. since it cant, then the muscles don't work properly if at all and the surrounding muscles work overtime. that might be why your leg feels so exhausted after an episode. you might have thought about this already, but can you get some boxes and raise your desk so you can stand while you work? also, if you are at your desk, try to get up and work from a standing position every 10 to 15 minutes. take a phone call while you are standing rather than sitting. bring a yoga ball to sit on so you can work on stabilizing your core while you work and make sure you stretch when you can. all of that should help. you might want to look into yoga just in general as that might help strengthen your neck muscles and relieve stress. 

• Posted

Get an MRI, Epidurals is a very short fix at best and if you are alergic to the Steroid it will scare you to death as they will suggest you may be A-fibbing. See a surgeon.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.