Numbness with migraine..

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies, hope everyone is doing well and had a wonderful holiday! Or as good as it gets ha.. Anyhow I'm just wondering if any of you experience numbness with your migraines?? Whenever I go into Wal-Mart especially or any of the big box stores, the lights always trigger the beginning of my migraine, and I usually stay away, but today had to run in quickly 10 min tops , and my right eye feels like its being pulled, my right ear my cheek and side of face and right foot and and front of bottom leg, and also the back of the right side of my head, all numb!!on the right side, It happens all the time when going into a big store and a migraine usually follows.. But the numbness just concerns me with this.. Do any of you experience this numbness with your migraines?? Also get the walking sideways dizzy off balance crap with it.. Very disturbing...I must say.. And when I Google I know I know no googling, but all I get is hemiplegic migraines where the body or at least one side goes numb.. Anyone else have this??can peri menopause really cause these migraines and numbness??

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gypsy, first off...good for you conquering a big box store...even for just a few minutes! I have experienced numbness and tingles. A few months ago, I had a doozy of a migraine...right eye socket and cheek went numb...I went to urgent care to make sure I was not having a stroke! I was fine. my eye twitched for a couple of days after. Last year, my left foot went numb, could not feel anything...went to the ER...nothing was wrong. BANG! A migraine arrived that night. I am on the vestibular migraine trail now. The nortriptyline is helping. I was to,d that the numbness I experienced is actually an aura.

I snapped pics from the book I am reading...numbness and tingling mentioned several times. chronic migraines can really screw us up. My migraines became chronic since peri. I hope these pics come out clear! I can message you too if you like!

• Posted

• Posted

Hi Lou, thanks for this , it is all so interesting.. It makes me feel so much better that you also experienced the numbness too.. Because I know you also have these migraines and do know what I'm feeling.. Its just so weird that you can go numb immediately from the lights in the store .. I did read walmart is one store without filters on their lights! I begin to question everything I'm going thru with these awful migraines and numbness, like I do have really bad sinuses (polyps) I know because sometimes those little grapes like buggers come hanging out the right side of my nose, sorry tmi but they are there and will completely clog shut that right side nostril, so wondering and questioning that could it be a possible cause to my REDICULOUS migraines and dizziness all of it, after all there must be a lot of swelling up there near my brain... I get the eye socket weirdness a lot and right ear numbness, oh and I also have the few veins that bulge in my left temple area during my migraines.. And the weird thing is when the lights trigger the numbness I guess its aura, thats all on my right side, and when I get the awful migraines it switches sides and is always in my left temple like and ice pic migraine with that bulging vein.., yes please do message me I would love to chat more, thanks for the pics very good info 😊

• Posted

hi!

in july i had a episode in july and i had blurr vision in my right eye and i got confused inmediatley , i got numbmes on my right hand and shut my ansiety to the roof my job call 911 and after all test done were normal and a referral to a head doctor he told me that there is migraines that mimic stroke so after a MRI show no signs of a stroke . i also see floaters

• Posted

Hi eliaimee. Thanks for your reply, it eases my mind just knowing that there are migraines that mimic stroke, thats exactly what this feels like.. But this has been going on for over a year now , so I'm positive its migraines, but the numbness is there with it, and its debilitating can not even enter certain stores anymore, I hope this goes away with all my other symptoms when perimenopause leaves...so glad for you that you had the MRI to ease your mind, and all was ok..

• Posted

Hi Gypsy, yes I had it in early months of my perimenapause. It was an awful experience. Together with migrane, numbness I would have sight loss in one eye too and total confusion. A bit like TIA (mini stroke). Since I had TIA in the past the symptoms can get confused with that. I am sure it is not unusual what you had. But still good to visit your gp and explain to them what happened if you can face visiting a gp. GOOD LUCK - You are not alone.

• Posted

I tried to include a link to Migrane Aura but waiting to be moderated.

• Posted

Here I try to paste the details:

What is aura?

Aura is a term used to describe a neurological symptom of migraine, most commonly visual disturbances.

Common symptoms of ‘migraine with aura’

People who experience ‘migraine with aura’ will have many or all the symptoms of a ‘migraine without aura‘ and additional neurological symptoms which develop over a 5 to 20 minute period and last less than an hour.

Visual disturbances can include:blind spots in the field of eyesightcoloured spotssparkles or starsflashing lights before the eyestunnel visionzig zag linestemporary blindness.Other aura symptoms can include:numbness or tinglingpins and needles in the arms and legsweakness on one side of the bodydizzinessa feeling of spinning (vertigo).

Speech and hearing can be affected and some people have reported memory changes, feelings of fear and confusion and, more rarely, partial paralysis or fainting.

These neurological symptoms usually happen before a headache, which could be mild, or no headache may follow.

Likely frequency of attacks

Frequency can vary anywhere from once a year to several times per year.

• Posted

Hi imagine, thank you for taking the time to write this to make sure it goes thru.. I'm not glad you had this but definitely glad you can share your experience with me.. Ive always been a very sensitive person to things like medication, and symptoms for anything are always much worse for me for some reason, even with the common cold I always seem to have it pretty bad and longer than the duration should last, so maybe thats why I have the numbness with and vertigo and all the unpleasant make me feel like im having a stroke symptoms with these migraines.. I've become really super sensitive to these store lights for some reason, and any kind of blue light or tv screen in HD I can't even look at without this instant numbness to one side of my body and vertigo with off balance dizziness weak jelly legs and feel like throwing up very nauseated.. Followed usually by an awful migraine.. I have to wear the sunglasses everywhere and have filters over everything, It certainly is no way to live, I mean this is bad and frustrating, thank god for online shopping or I would seriously not have anything, I do think its time for an mri to see whats happening up there in my head, just so scared 😨

• Posted

Absolutely, I am/have been extremely sensitive to lights for a while now. And can't do without the sunglasses. I wear glasses and had to pay for prescription sunglasses too. I am also sensitive to sound but more so to light. All the best

• Posted

Gypsy,

I was scared to have a brain MRI, but the test itself was easy. They actually found something called a cavernoma, but it was tiny and they say it shouldn't cause any symptoms. I have super weird vision stuff going on as you know because we have chatted before. All my tests have been normal. It's hard not to be afraid. I know I have some days where I am brave and others where I am in tears and a ball of anxiety. I recently have tried to not wear my hat and sunglasses all the time. I read that if you constantly live in the dark, it makes it worse and your sensitivity increases.

• Posted

Hi staci, yes im terrified to have testing done, well for fear of course they will find something horrible.. I'm the same as you some days I can get through ok and other days I feel like a ball of panic too.. I hope all these roller coaster hormones do settle for us all one day..

• Posted

Hi Lou and Gypsy,

I was wondering what book that was? I am looking to read a good migraine information book. I do from time to time get the ones that make my right cheek and behind my right eye numb. I also get an achy jaw from time to time and full body aching with mine. Since my 40s mine have also became chronic. So annoying since they are so debilitating. Didn't know the numbness was an aura- interesting but makes sense since I always end up getting a bad one afterwards.

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Cher! "Heal your headache". I picked up a used copy for 3 bucks. But, amazon has it too. It is written by the headache dr at Johns Hopkins... I like it because he goes into the science of the migraine and it is not a holistic type book...just concrete info.

• Posted

I had no idea numbness was aura either...I always thought aura was visual only. My otoneuro told me and I read it in the book. I had tried going back on birth control recently and had a very bad time...no wonder! My obgyn only asked me if I saw "funny things" with my migraines...I am not sure that all drs understand aura,

• Posted

Hi Lou and Cher.. I had no idea numbness was aura either , I get the numbness every time before my migraine.. I will look this book up, sounds interesting! Thanks ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.