Nurofen+ & codeine addiction

Posted , 4 users are following.

I realy realy need help I've been taking pain killers for years now because of shoulder injuries and a ruptured ACL and was given Dihydrocodeine and it gives you a euphoric rush much like ecstasy but over the years my tolerance has grown and I take them 10 at a time now which means my perscription only lasts a day or two in the mean time I take Nurofen+ when I started doing that a box of 32 would last a few hours but as time has passed hell I'll skip to right now I buy a box of 32 I take 32 8 at a time and can do this twice maybe 3 times a day it has lead to stomach ulcers bad ones and the worst of the lot my whole body from top to bottom itches uncontrollable my skin is a mess and what's causing that is my bile ducts in my liver are blocked.I hate lieing to my wife and would give anything to not depend on them I'm about to become a first time father.the issue is when I'm sober I feel so low and every part of my body aches and hurts and I feel no one will like me and my wife will think I'm quiet and boring.am I posting this to the group or to one person

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, all i can say is please seek help, when you are feeling low it's because you are on a comedown, everything you are taking is related to the Herion family. I am now 1 week and a half into going cold turkey from 30/500 cocodamol and soluble solthadol(so it gets in my system quicker) I am now starting to feel myself again after 2/3 years. Cold turkey for me was so horrible, I was emotional, down all day, sweats, stools, couldn't sleep. Then the last few years of heartache, loosing my house, lost my dad hit me all at once. I was also adamant my wife was cheating. I took these tablets to block it all, which it did a hell of a lot, keeping me high all the time. Then when I decided enough is enough i stopped just like that. Then a day later I broke down at work. I went to the doctor and told him what I had been doing and he advised that I Weend myself off but I told him no I don't want to take anymore of these tablets, he prescribed me diazepam for 3 days, I know it's still early but I'm feeling ok. I am taking it day by day, I hope you get well soon

• Posted

Wow, well done. I find the biggest issue is how I deal with commitments while I am detoxing. I can't even answer the phone. It's the need to function that stops me quitting. Did the diazepam help?

xx

• Posted

No I found the diazepam did not work, I just fought and fought, you need the will power which thankfully I got as I hated realising that these tablets took my my life over. Find it within your self to beat it,

Good luck

• Posted

Thganks Thomas. Really helpful. What was life like afterwards? I hope I can get by without needing my little prop x
    • Posted

Your welcome, I'm still in the process it's been 1 week and half so getting there. I'm feeling more and more normal everyday, just try and go cold turkey, you will feel so down and low I mean bad but just stay strong

• Posted

Thanks Thomas. Much appreciated. I think I could cope with the physical side. Just do what I can to get through it. It's the feeling low I worry about. At the moment, when I have my fix, I feel I can tackle anything. When I don't have it, I start to get anxious. Your story is encouraging. If you can start to feel normal again after a week and a half, then there is hope. It's funny because I am not sure what normal is any more. I have not been 'me' for two years. Thanks again and i hope you continue on your journey. Best wishes x

• Posted

One things for sure my friend, your not going to be able to do this without the help of a doctor. .I'd say three's a good chance that your wife already knows there's somethig  going on. It's like looking in a mirror every day, we hardly see ourselves growing older.. A while as a codeine addict and everyone who knows you sees the difference, but most people will think you have some stomach trouble or whatever. One thing about the liver, even when it's been damaged by nurofen plus and the like, when the pills are stopped the liver can actually rebuild itself again. When my addiction was as severe as yours I knew something was really going wrong when sometimes for maybe three weeks all I wanted to do was sleep, I hardly had the energy to get out of bed. And I was buying the nurofen plus onlne from a nearby country...I looked terible and when my skin was beoming increasingly yellow i knen this meant jaundice and real liver trouble. My wife a quiet, decent person stood by me and I'll never forgive myself what I put her through. I went to the family doctor and explained I was addiction to codeine and tablets containing codeine for almost fifeen years. He was stunned that I was still alive when I told him the amount I had taken and he said if I wasn't a big man 6' 3''  I'd have been dead long ago. But my liver and kidneys are damaged but not tatally so he put me on a reducng dose of codeine and finally I was down to taling twelve nurofen plus in the mornig and the same at night. This should have kept the worst of the witjdrawls away but it didn't and I found out I had developed what might be called a mental depondency. I convinved myself in my mind that I was not taking enough nurofen plus and my mind was overiding the twentyfour tablets I was taking every day  and the withdrawls returned with a vengence. My doctor explained all this to me and he was really angry that such an addictive drug was easy to get. Anyway he ptescribed diazepam to take at night and as we live in a small town and the doctor passed my door on his way home at night he slipped the correct dose of diazepam and codeine through the leterbox.  When you make up your mind to try and kick this addiction what you are really doing is engaging in the fight of and for your life and for those who care about you.  There is no shame to go to the doctor woth this problem.....the facts are that doctors and nurses have a higher rate of drug and drink problems than most of the population.  I couldnt hofe my addiction from my wife and I doubt if any serious can. So if you think it's possible it would be very beneficial to include your wife in every stage of your recovery and that includes doctor visits.  Believe me no one will blame you for the cycle of addiction you got caught up is, but itl's and tough, but many have made it through and once more became the people they were. The man your wife loves is still in there and itls going to take a great effort from you to set him free, but I and thousands more have done it and so can you.............the best of luck to you friend.

• Posted

Thanks Tim for taking the time to write this. I have been addicted for 2 years. Today I couldn't get out of bed and was vomiting pereiodically. It is time I took control of this x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.