Nurofen plus addiction

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been addicted to codeine for the last 6 years first stared with a couple to help me sleep here and there and it’s grown large amounts I take up to 16 pills at a time and between 2-4 times a day. I went to see GP got told to go to a drugs clinic I went got prescribed bupernorphine at first brilliant really takes the edge off the cravings but I still had that craving for the buzz. I was clean for 6months then a month ago I though oh I might just buy some to make me sleep tonight I won’t take anymore after this packet I’ll go back on the bupernorphine and of course that didn’t happen i have just carried on and this time I’m finding it harder to get used to the bupe again the amount of money that is spent on travel and the pills I could have bought a house or something by now just wanna see if anyone can help me out bit of moral support

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HiMarnie432,

My own story sounds very similar to yours and I'm taking roughly the same amount of Nurofen plus. I discovered them about 4 years ago. I did a lofexidene detox about 3 months ago and managed to kick them for a few weeks but it didn't last long. I've also caused myself life threatening internal injuries from taking these tablets and was admitted twice to hospital last year needing 2 blood transfusions due to bleeding ulcers in my stomach. I also damaged the tube leaving my stomach leading to me not being able to eat properly for about 2 months and looking about 3 stone yet I can't help myself taking these tablets. Like you've always said I always say tomorrow I will start cutting down and yet tomorrow never comes. I can no longer afford the massive trips to find new chemists I've not been to and as my kids are off school now for 2 weeks I'm panicking how I am going to manage to buy enough pills to last me as I can't take them with me chemist shopping and they will probably let slip to their dad. It's not a way to live is it? I don't have any magic answer but I will gladly be there for a bit of moral support for you, maybe we can help each other

Emma xx

• Posted

Hi Emma, how are you doing? Please see your gp and ask to be referred to the drug and alcohol service, they can help you. I've been there myself and am just about to start bupernorphine to help come of codeine. Their is no happy ending with codeine, you just end up needing more and more to feel normal. Take care 😐

• Posted

Hi Michelle hope you don’t mind me asking have you started the bupernorphine? If you have how are you finding it? I’m on it too it’s great for keeping away the withdrawal symptoms!
  • Posted

I know nothing, I'm only just starting to try to taper down my dose and I didn't take anywhere near what you guys have got stuck on but I just wanted to say there HAS to be a way off this, I've been reading the other posts, this drug is evil. Like you said, it's no way to live, I'm lasting from one dose to the next and feeling like c**p in between. Keep going, I've realised there's no easy way to finally stop but I have to, being on it makes me feel awful so a bit more awful will be worth it. Good luck, please don't give up.

• Posted

I ageee try get into a drugs clinic Emma the bupernorphine they put you on instead is brilliant really curbs  all the major cravings and doesn’t make you feel poorly the only down sides to bupernorphine is havin to pick it up every day from the chemist it took me weeks to get the courage to go in and hand my prescription in because who wants to be known as a drug addict who has to be supervised while taking the tablet! I know the pharmacists say don’t worry we have seen this 1000 times before but you can’t help feeing like you are getting judged another downside I’ve resd about is really bupe is such a strong drug compared to codeine so you don’t need that much but they put you on 8mg or 16mg of the tablet it works yes but apparently it’s even harder to get off the bupe. I wouldn’t wish this life on my worst enemy I’m 20 years old I should be out with friends on holiday enjoying my life not stayin in everyday trying to think where I can get my next packet from I just can’t belibe I managed to stop for 6 months and one day I’d missed going to pick up my tablet from the chemist because i wss ya work and couldn’t leave so that night I thought I’d just buy some n+ just for the one night until I got to the chemist in the morning and what a surprise that didn’t happen and I’m still taking them to this day maybe even more than before I quit. Lol sorry for the essay sometimes I just need to talk about it to someone because no one else knows of my addiction 
  • Posted

How are you getting on? I'm on day 2 of detox and feel awful. worst is the headache and achy legs.

I was always the same with N+ telling myself just one more packet this is it now, it never was. it is hard for people to understand how hard it is unless they have been in this situation. hopefully it will end for us all soon.

• Posted

Hi Steven,

im on day 8 and even though most of the physical symptoms have subsided, i still have a daily battle of not stopping off at a chemist ans buying some more!! today has been the worse day! im leaving work soon and its gonna be a struggle getting straight home! how are you doing??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.