Nurofen Plus (low doses)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've been taking Nurofen Plus for awhile now and I've developed a bit of an addiction. It's gone from a couple of pills a day up to about 12 every day. I see in these forums and elsewhere that some people take up to 30/40/50 etc pills per day so I'm certainly not at that level but I'm still concerned. I get some negative side effects and am worried about long terms side effects.

I suppose I just wanted to get advice on whether this (comparitively) small addiction consitutes a problem. I want to stop but then part of me thinks taking this amount each day can't do massive damage. I know I'd find it very hard to stop...

Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tara.

Admitting you have an issue is the first step so well done!!

It doesnt matter that you are only taking 12 a day, you will start to take more & more eventually.

Saying you know you will have a problem stopping means you have a problem.

Not sure if youre addicted but, youre definitely dependent on these things.

You have done the right thing so very well done.

Please see your GP to get help & be honest, see them now before you are taking 40 or 50 a day because believe me, if you dont get help, it wont be long before you are up there.

Take care & all the best

Ritchie

• Posted

Hi Ritchie,

Thank you for your response!

I'm definitely worried about eventually taking dozens a day and know that's a possibility considering I'm often not getting the desired effects from the amount I'm taking.

The strange thing though is that when I've taken more than about 12 I've felt spaced out and a bit sick; basically, I don't get the effect I'm looking for by taking more. Maybe I don't have a very high tolerance. I know this could change though.

I guess part of me is worried that I'm making a big deal of something small by going to the doctor and I also wonder whether there are any detrimental effects if I were to stick to the current amount.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Believe me tara, you are not making a big deal out of something small, everybody starts off small & before you know it youre in a right mess. And, that is how overdoses happen, you are always chasing that first hit you got that you will never ever get again. So you take more & more chasing it & before you know it..............

Are you in the uk? If so i will give you a number to call that is a drug charity in London called Release. They helped me so much, i may not be here now if it wasnt for their help!!!

• Posted

I'm not in the UK but thank you, I hadn't thought about a helpline.

And you're right, I've already started taking more. I'm now closer to around 20 as of today so it's escalating fairly quickly.

I'm going to see my GP. It's hard though because part of me doesn't want to stop but I will go.

Thank you for your advice!

• Posted

Good luck with your GP.

Please be honest with him or her & tell them everything.

Hope it goes well

Good luck

• Posted

Hi all,

Any other people's experience would be really appreciated as this is escalating quite quickly for me and I'd like to see how others have dealt with it and any medical side effects they've had etc. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Tara.

I've posted here a few times about my problem and I hope I could be of assistance to you.

I started on N plus. Like you. That escalated along with alcohol. Admittedly I also have concurrent mood and depression issues.

Anyway, it was mainly N plus but escalated into pure codeine. Lots of it. Everywhere on the Internet you'll see discussions of people taking X number a day

Is not a competition. You are already taking to many. The problem with N plus health wise is not the codeine, it's the ibuprofen. It'll wreck your stomach. I'm surprised your not already having trouble. I mainly stopped cos I was going to the doctor all the time with stomach problems. And to hospital for exams.

Eventually the truth came out.

I would recommend talking to your doctor. Or find a nice new one and tell them. They're never judgemental. It won't be like your an idiot or where did you get them. They will help you to stop.

I've no idea about your background so I'm not going to say what they'll do. There may be underlying psychological issues?

Realistically speaking if the doctor is any good, cos your still on a "low" dose, they may prescribe you pure codeine with about taper off plan. This would stop the potential for damaging your stomach.

If it's more serious, they may possibly tell you to go down the methadone route, so just be prepared if that shocks you.

Or there's a similar medication not as strong as methadone.

I think these are the 3 Likliest options. Dont worry, they're not going to throw you out and say stop this minute!

If you want to you can IM me. I'm not in the US or UK.

Best of luck

Ted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.