Nurse could not find cervix

Posted , 5 users are following.

Not sexually active but have period problems nurse could not find cervix for smear so booked for Dr to try. Anybody had this

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

have you ever been sexually active Lea?    If you have never been sexually active you dont need a smear test. Or do you mean not at the moment?

• Posted

Never been sexually active but have period problems so was advised to have smear
    • Posted

Lea a smear test is a screening test for women who don't have any symptoms. The smear test won't actually tell you why you're having these problems with your periods. It tests for cell changes that COULD go on to become cancer but mostly don't. Over 99% of cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus which as you have never been sexually active you can't possibly have! As you have symptoms ie period problems you need diagnostic tests not a screening test that is horribly unreliable anyway. Hope you get it sorted.

• Posted

Lee agree with others hear . YES Make sure your doctor knows you have never been sexually active when you see him and before he attempts that smear. Personally i too cant see why or how they think giving you a smear will diagnose period problems either, unless you have some sort of coloured discharge or something? last time i had a smear she found it very difficult to find my cervix but i was 60 and in menopause which can sometimes causes the cervix to change and be difficult to find.

• Posted

No but it can mean you have a tilted cervix did they tell you how it looked like?
    • Posted

She didn't say anything just she couldn't find it guess I will see when Dr trys thanks for your response

• Posted

You prob need bc to control your bleeding weird how they say get a smear.
  • Posted

I think a lot of Doctors assume all women above a certain age are/or have been sexually active. Make sure your doctor knows you have never been sexually active when you see him and before he attempts that smear.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.