Nurse with Ankylosing Spondylitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi guys,

I'm a nurse and ive been diagnosed with AS after 4 1/2 years of chronic back pain.

i was just wondering if there are any other nurses on this forum who have it and can share their experiences of working as a nurse whilst having AS or even if not a nurse if anyone can give me any tips of managing day to day life with AS

thanks in advance

linz x

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hiya Linz, wow I didn't think I'd find anyone else like me....I have been a nurse for 40 years....that makes me almost prehistoric eh..lol...I have been running a free medical clinic for the very poor in a remote area and after 22 years of doing so have had to nearly give up...I say nearly....but recently got some inspiration from a good friend. I'm going to buy a motorised electric scooter thingy to get me back and forth to the clinic..Ive had back problems for half my life, been everywhere, seen everyone who supposedly knew about AS...but didn't get the answers till I found this site. So quite soon I will get on my "Bat Mobile" and resume my passion for helping at the clinic. Our nurses are rushed off their feet during their morning shift. So I do feel needed. That's the catalyst for helping me to heal myself., even in mind only. Plus I can get my injections regularly instead of waiting for a quiet moment when someone can come to my house nearby. I have also taken up painting again after years of just thinking about it....that helps so much. I have to paint abstract with toothpicks or satay sticks coz my fingers don't work too well....but I like what comes out of it. At the moment I am painting river rocks..!!! OK back to you. Nurses are not just educated to be so but are born into it...it's a passion in the genes. I bet you have others in your family in the caring profession. Me too. You are needed even in a small way. Advising, discussing, researching and all those things which will not cause you any further body pain. Wish you were closer to me, we could "play" together, give each other what we need to regain our self worth and recognise our value in life. We are special...and we will be special again....Let me know what you think.....need your advice to....Hugs and healing to you...Gloria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.