Nut allergy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a nut allergy and carry an epi pen around with me but at the moment I am

Finding it very hard to find foods I can have that haven't got nut traces in them I am sticking to plain foods as I am too scared of having a reaction and does anyone know if someone is eating something with nuts in the same room as me can that bring a reaction on? Not long had this allergy any help would be greatly appreciated x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Rachael!  It's so stressful to have such worries, isn't it?? sad  There's no real answer or measure you can go by.  But, you may be able to help yourself figure this out. 

What brought about the diagnosis and epi pen prescription? Did you need epinephrine? Have you been around nuts in the past and felt fine? Are you allergic to all nuts?

My son is allergic to every nut to which he's been tested and his allergist doesn't think he'll outgrown any of them. He has an epi pen - we keep one in school (or camp) and I take one wherever we go. We've NEVER needed to use it, though.  If he has any allergic reaction, it's fairly mild and goes away with children's Benadryl (antihistamine). He can safely eat regular M&Ms, for example, and they're processed with nuts. So, he can tolerate any cross-contamination he may have had. 

But everyone is different. some can't even smell peanuts without feeling or getting sick. Cross contamination or accidental ingestion can be a major problem for some people! Your allergist should be able to help you figure out what you should do to keep yourself safe. You may not have to avoid as much as you think. Or, you may be doing exactly what you need to stay well...  But, chances are if you've been around someone eating nuts and were fine before, you may still be okay.

Good luck!

• Posted

rachael, pls figure out if you are sensitive against histamine. so many people doesn't know that there are intolerant to it. It's a simple blood test. I'm sensitive as well and I didn't know it for a long time!

I take remedial action with some dietary supplements... like daosin. it helps me to control my histamine level and avoids the allergic reaction!

Hope I could give you the answer that you're looking for!

• Posted

Thankyou for that I will ask my gp I didn't know they could do that I need to sort it out it is ruining my life I'm hardly eating anything as I am too scared too and even going out to places I'm scared that it is contaminated sounds so stupid but it's an awful feeling hope I can sort it out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.