7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, raspberries started one flare up, strawberries started the last flare up, dried figs the first and corn the third one. I have not eaten any nuts because they cause me other problems.

Everybody is different but you can't pay me enough money to eat anything on the "old" list of foods to avoid.

• Posted

Depends if you want to take the risk.

I find the very occasional slice of seeded bread doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't have it every day and I don't miss it. I find wholemeal just as good. The same with nuts, I don't eat them on their own but if I find some on a cake, for example, I don't worry. Can't stand popcorn so I don't touch it. Gently does it is the way to go.

• Posted

Yes they say that, but I'm not taking any chances!  I went with that theory for a few years after my second flare, but after eating popcorn frequently, ended up with a third flare, and I really think thetas what caused it.  My primary care doc said to be careful with nuts, seeds, etc regardless of research.

• Posted

Hi Shea,

Both the GI and surgeon says recent 

Data shows no correlation between  nuts, seeds and popcorn. The surgeon also said it’s good to have popcorn to move things thru the colon. I would advise very small amounts though.

One episode started after eating a lot of grapes must have been the skins.

Kate

• Posted

Honestly don't care what research says.  Anytime I ate nuts, seeds or popcorn - I had a flare - do not eat and no flares!

• Posted

My doctor said "eat what you want, just be sure and get plenty of fiber"   I eat nuts, seeds, popcorn, you name it and have not had any issue whatsoever.  That said, the first few times I did eat anything on the "no" list, I was a bit nervous and thought I felt a flare up coming on but it turned out it was all in my head  smile

Ease into it slowly if you're concerned and see how your body reacts.

• Posted

Lucky You!  Every time I eat that stuff, I have a flare and, unfortunately, it wasn't in my headbiggrin

I love nuts, popcorn, etc. but it does not like me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.