Nuts, Seeds etc

Posted , 8 users are following.

Some drs say eat what you want. Others say no tomatoes, strawberries, nuts etc. what do you think?   I can live without caramel popcorn which is what I had prior to my first of two attacks. In fact, my dr said the second attack  was a continuation of the first two weeks apart. The second sent me to ER and hospitalized 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi jayne my GI also says I may eat all of the above I did a little research on this and sure enough long time research says we can eat these foods They base it on no surgeon has ever reported a seed nut popcorn and so on has ever been found in pockets of the colon I personally still have not eaten any of the above since first infection except zucchini soup ( it did have seeds floating in it ) I was back in bed for 2 days praying I would not end up in hospital I am back on my feet again I don't know if it was seeds or if I can no longer tolerate squash? The first time hospitalized with infection in May the surgeon probably in his late 60s said absolutely no seeds popcorn nuts and so on 6 weeks later when I finally got into GI doc She said it's a myth stomach acid dissolves these things before they enter colon she says eat like you ate before you had flare up that there is no evidence that any kind of food causes flare ups She said the medical field still have no scientific evidence why it happens I will not eat these things for fear of another infection 😨

• Posted

I eat popcorn once a week the month before my first flair up. I am afraid now and I can live without it for ever. 
  • Posted

Hi Jayne,

I too do not eat any seeds,I have never been a big nut eater but certainly I used to eat quite a lot of Tomatoes, Strawberries etc but not any more.

The problem with seeds as I was told is that the body cannot digest them so they have to pass through the entire bowel system therefore you run the risk of one dropping into a pocket in your colon and then getting infected and a flare up.

So I do eat Tomatoes still but not the seeds part I scrape these out and just eat the flesh part, however I do not eat any Strawberries now at all far too many seeds on them to take the risk.

I know some people will say still eat everything as before but I don't want to take that risk and apart from the odd tummy upset I have not had a proper flare up for a number of years now, so I can put up with not eating the odd food item to stay pain free!!! 

Hope that this helps you.

By the way I also take a probiotic every morning to maintain good bacteria in my gut and I find that has helped too.

Best Wishes

Graham 

• Posted

I gave up popcorn, the last time I had popcorn I was constipated for days with pain, nausea, chills, sweats and vomiting. Never again. Maybe try making your own using broken pieces of rice cakes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.