nuvigil

Posted , 3 users are following.

I don't know if there is already a discussion on this topic. Dr put me on nuvigil to help fatigue throughout the day. I've been prescribed 250 MG's, but due to nausea side effects have been going up gradually. Recently my back or rib area hash been hurting very badly. Ibuprofen is not helping at all. Kind of like I'm carrying 5 people on my back.

I don't want to stop this pill because it is helping and makes it easier to get through a the day. I made a drs appt for next Tues because its been a month since starting the pill.

I have chronic pain according to my sleep study, and I've searched the internet on if nuvigil causes pain or makes it worse and I can't find much on the subject. I was on adderall and it made my pain and achiness go away, but that pill is not for me.

Anyway any onsite or experience on nuvigil is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Stephanie,

I just saw a new doctor for pain, depression, weight gain and fatigue. You may have heard this before but we are trying to change my diet even more. I'll be cutting almost all sugar out and using honey and lemon in iced tea. My caffeine will only be from coffee and tea and trying to reduce that also. Kombucha seems to give me the jump I need to walk and get the heart going.

He said that sugar and even bread can change the way my meds affect me.

• Posted

Hi...what is kumbacha? My diet is good. I don't drink caffeine, my sugar intake is limited, and I gave up bread years ago...occasionallyiI will have a piece. I didn't know sugar and bread could effect medicine.

Sounds like you found a good doctor

• Posted

Hi Stepanie.

I've heard of this (i.e. read about it in a few forums, plus an article in one of the daily news papers.) being prescribed for ME/CFS.  From what I remeber it had marked  success with those who had mild-moderate ME/CFS symptoms. what I read was from the US.  I understood from the article that it was either going to be trialed in a small group of ME/CFS patients or was already trialed, I can't remember which. I did think of asking my GP for same, but since that article/s were from the US, I didn't think my GP would prescribe it for me, unless there was perhaps ''world wide'' evidence of it's efficacy for our condition. Also, we tend to be a tad more conservative than the US in these matters. I wish I had filed the article and taken better attention what was said in the forum, that mentioned its use for ME/CFS. hope you get something for your nausea and you may have a clearer picture of how much this drug is helping you, BTW, are you located in the UK or the US?

meanwhile all good luck 

Caitlin

• Posted

Yes I am in the us. I'm really impressed with this pill. The world seems so much brighter. It makes you awake but doesn't give you energy. Its hard to explain. The side effects are just horrible but if you stick it out it gets better. The nausea is gone now. I basically didn't eat for 8 days : (. Its just this back pain now. Hopefully its unrelated. A lot of insurance company's don't want to cover nuvigil for some reason. I was lucky and they didn't fight it. But I also did a sleep study and my sleep Dr recommended it.

Its worth a try to ask your Dr. I honestly think it has been a life changer so far

• Posted

Hi Stephanie.

I'm really delighted that you have found something that helps you. the fact that your insurance company covers it, is such a bonus and to be celebrated. what a Doc. to prescribe it for you?

from what I recall from the article and the forum, the people who were put on this particular or a similar medicine said similar things i.e. it was the ''turning point'' in their recovery journey, or/and it meant that they could get back to work, or become a proper mum to their children etc.I remember one person using the phrase ''it was magical''. I think she had given up on a cure, or any kind of sustained medical help. she commented that  it was magical that she could suddenly think clearly, stay awake & go back to work. Aas commented, I was really exicted when I read it.  however, when I realised it was in the US, my heart sank as we're rather conservative here in the UK in respect of medical matters.  we have lots of Governmental rules & regulations - some financially driven, other for unknown reasons. Apparently, there are different varities of this medication, so you may need to experiment  to find the one that suits you best. could you say what the side-effects for you are?  also, maybe a visit to a Chiropractic Practitioner might yield some information on whats going on with your back?

best fo luck

C.

• Posted

Caitlin

My side effects were severe nausea,anxiety,depression, rapid heartbeat,highblood pressure and a spacy feeling. Those went away after a couple weeks. It was awful. I will wait and see what the Dr says on Tues about the pain. Now I think its an old rib injury.

I've read that people buy this online without a prescription but I would be to scared to do that. Has your Dr been able to help you in any way? How long have you been dealing with this?

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Stephanie.

Gosh those side effects are pretty 'heavy duty' and debilitating to say the least. you're very strong and brave to stick with the meds and see those side effects off. it sounds that your body/system is quite sensitive. have the side effects now fully dissipated as your body has adapted to the meds.

interesting to hear that the old rib injury may be causing the back problems. the thing with the body is, that it's all so interrelated. if one organ/system is compromized, it's likely to affect other organs even distal organs/systems.  that's where holistic or/and intergrated medicine comes to the fore. they treat the 'whole' as apart to the single  'part'. 

I hadn't thought of the on line possibility for procuring the Nuvigil. I doubt that it might be on sale in the UK, again due to very strict regulations.

to answer your question, my current Doc is BRILLIANT.  I had  a number of ME complications which were not picked up by my previous GP practice/s. many consultation with different Docs, but no diagnosis or treatment x 4 years. I was in agony.

I then moved house and my current Doc diagnosed my complications and commenced treatment on my first consultation with excellent results. unfortunately a lot of damage has been done to the nerves in the mean time, coz of the delayed diagnosis/treatment.

I had very severe 'Costochrondritis' and concurrent  severe 'Instertitial Cystitis' (IC). both are frequently found in people with ME/CFS. that was together with all the core ME & a multitude of other related symptoms. during this time I had lost 3 stone weight and I wasn't over weight to begin with. my swallowing muscles were totally flassid with no peristalsis, so I couldn't swallow any solid food for a year and a half. with the treatment of the complications, I began to crawl back to my current health levels, which is now manageable and I have regained the weight at last.

anyhow all good luck with Doc on Tuesday next. do keep us informed of the outcome if you're up to it. I find I learn more on these forums that from the Medics and the Experts. BTW, have U done any of the Governmental validated treatments i.e. 'Graded Exercise' and 'CBT'?

C

• Posted

Wow sounds like you've been through a lot! What is IC? I have more CFS than me.

I still exercise when I am able.Ive always went to the gym, but that has diminished in the past couple years.

Im thinking this pill makes me more "aware" of things. I've always been the kind of person who can disconnect my mind from my body and not feel much sickness or pain. I think that's how I've survived this long. If I'm sick I can make it through a day of work. I don't know how I do it. Anyway I did something to this rib over 20 yrs ago and it only hurt when I touched it...lol so I didn't touch it. Now it just hurts so bad. My bf says it feels bent, but its always been that way.

I'm so sorry for all you've been through, makes me feel like a baby for complaining. I wish you the best in life and all you do. I'm so glad there's sites like this that people can reach out and connect with others.

• Posted

Oh my heavens Stephanie, don't feel sorry for me. there's something about ME/CFS and chronic ill health, that makes one more philosophical about life. simply I'm pleased that the worst is behind me .......well I hope so lol...........?

IC is 'Interstitial Cystitis' which is like having acute cystitis ALL of the time i.e. the ''Wee'' house is your most common visited room in the house. many ppl with ME/CFS tend to get IC, but not all. there are many suggested causes for it, but it seems to be primarily connected to a mal functioning immune systems, hence ME/CFS. It's not very well understood or researched and often passed off as just chronic Cystitis. it's incredibly painful.

there are many 'brutal'  treatments for the symptoms, but no cure that I'm  aware of.  there is  medication which ameliorates the symptoms.  I've opted for the meds despite many side-effects.  diet and other environmental factors can make it worse and obviously avoiding the offending environmental offenders help to manage it more effectively.

the other treatments sound worse that the actual condition itself - quite primitive? anyhow, there we go - ME/CFS  is quite a nasty/debilitating condition to have.  

BTW, do have a go at guided meditation, if you have the opportunity and see where it takes you. it's very good for many health problems.

best C 

interesting that you can detach from your body when in pain. that's a great and natural means for pain mangement. ppl who have this ability, also tend to be rather creative and naturally intuitive. they tend to be predominantly  right brain (hemisphere) dominant and are very adept at doing meditation and benefiting from it together with other ''energy medicine'' interventions.

• Posted

Caitlin

Yes I am diagnosed with CFS , its been a long journey. I guess everyone has so many different symptoms. I've had it for over 10 yrs. But just recently diagnosed.

Take care and keep in touch: )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.