O M Goodness!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just been on holiday. Done lots of walking everything hunky dory. Then I looked in the mirror .... My lower lashes and half my eyebrows have dropped out !!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Good grief! Is there no end to Pred surprises? Eyebrows can be sorted. Not so sure about lower lashes as I certainly find that Pred has made my eyes more sensitive- unless it's old age. 👵🏻  Hope you have recovered from the shock and set about damage limitation....🤔

• Posted

Now that sounds like you've got a little case of alopecia. I don't know how thick your hair is on your head but it would be a good idea to check your head for bald spots. They can be as small as a dime and as big as your hand. They typically will first form on the crown of your head but I've had them at the nape of my neck too. Alopecia is another autoimmune disorder and if you do have it you'll want to go see a dermatologist.

• Posted

After a year on Prednisone, my eyelashes and part of my eyebrows were very thin---couldn't use mascara anymore!  However, now that I am down to 3 mg/day and soon to go on 2, I am seeing the eyelashes return---as of about 6 weeks ago.  Don't know what your situation is, but maybe this is a bit of hope?!!  My side effects have been many, but exercise certainly is a plus.  Keep on walking!

• Posted

Just wondering if you still have pain as you have reduced the Prednisone? I am currently on 7mg down from 15mg. I am reducing because of the Prednisone side effects but I still have pain.
    • Posted

Few people a totally pain-free but whatever the level of pain you had left over with the starting dose is your guideline - you are only ever looking for the lowest dose that achieves that. You reduce in small steps until you find they are starting to return and then immediately go back to the last dose that worked well. You are taking the pred to manage the inflammation and, therefore, the symptoms until the underlying cause, an autoimmune disorder, burns out and goes into remission. That is usually anything between 2 and 6 years for 75% of patients but you can't tell in advance how long it will be for you.

Reducing "because of the pred side effects" is not the way to look at it. The pred is the only thing that will relieve your pain and if you do not take enough the symptoms will return just as they were at the start. Most of the pred side effects can be managed if you know how, some you just have to accept. Or you accept the return of the pain and live with it.

• Posted

I have GCA which once I began with the Prednisone, I had not very much pain.  Actually the side effects were the dominant problem---headaches, muscle weakness, cramps, sleeplessness, terrible dreams  and stomach issues that are caused by having to take supplements to offset the depletion of some minerals due to the Prednisone.  I took Omeprazole, but still had stomach issues.  I still take it, but try to do 3 days on and then 2 days off.  When I got down to about 6mg I noticed a reduction in all of the above.  And I continue to improve---especially with the muscle and cramping issues.  And I'm hoping my hair might get a bit thicker.  I'll just be content not to have a flare 

And get off this stuff.

i don't know how rapidly you are reducing, but I caution you not to go too fast.  1 mg per every 4 weeks is recommended.  A friend of a friend hated the side effects so much that she quit and suffered severe mental problems and was hospitalized for a very long time.  I don't know if she is yet fully recovered.  In any event, I'd check with your doctor.before doing a dramatic reduction.  And of course much depends upon when you began and what the dose was.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Daisy

It's quite extraordinary the way prednisone - and possibly other drugs - react. 

I had thick, spiky, straight hair. Suddenly, it went curly. Brushing it is like raking through a roll of barbed wire! My friends want to know what drugs I am taking as they want curly hair as well! 

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your eyelashes/eyebrows have dropped out> I had trouble with thinning hair which is recovering now I am on 4 mgs of Pred. but suprize, suprize about a little over 1 year ago I shaved my legs (as we do), only to discover the hairs on legs have never grown back, which is very good for me, I not miss shaving legs.   Not too sure about eyelashes/eyebrows, hopefully they will recover for you.

Also I have not had any hair growth underneath arm pits for about 6 years, which is another mystery, seeing as I have only  had PMR for 2-1/2 years, though I am not complaining about that as well.

Wishing you all the best Daisy, please keep us informed.

• Posted

Retired, wear trousers most of the time but used to shave legs for summer, so imagine my amazement when I found - no hair!! I blame everything on Prednisone, so why not this.
    • Posted

Losing your hair on your legs or your armpits is not that unusual for older women. I lost the hair on my armpits years ago before I started prednisone. I wish it'd been my legs like you but my leg hair has reduced considerably. I don't think that has anything to do with prednisone or PMR. I think it has to do with getting older and consider yourself lucky because it's so nice not to have to shave.

• Posted

Personally I think it's a bit of both, and am also not unhappy about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.