O & O = Overweight & Obesity

Posted , 4 users are following.

Increasingly, it's a subject one can't avoid or ignore, it's everywhere, it's global. In the news, on the streets - it's 'in your face'. Unfortunately more than in the face but all over the body, all 30, 40, 50, 60 (and more!) stones or 420, 560, 700, 840 lbs, or 191, 255, 318, 382 kgs - take your pick!

I constantly wonder how people get to this serious condition, and I'm sure there's more to it than just gluttony or food craving. Sure, it doesn't happen overnight, but it does remind me of another condition that affects so many people with ailments of one kind or another - drug addiction, and not for recreation purposes either but to help ease pain, sleep, anxiety and hosts of other normal ailments that, over time get out of hand with not just drug dependence, but accompanied by the need for even more of the drug just to maintain the status quo.

In fact many drugs don't even do that because once the body/brain has got used to addictive drugs they lose the ability they first had, with the body demanding yet more without giving any more benefit.

It's a losing battle.

I am fortunately neither overweight nor obese, but technically I am a drug addict, using a regulated drug that over the years lost its use as a sleep aid but left me feeling the real need for more. Not getting any more left my sleep in chaos, but left me still dependent on the wretched drug.

I can't afford to be smug, as the way out of this dilemma that I have found is looking really good, as after only two months of a new treatment (new to me) has vastly improved my sleep, from 2-3 hours to now 6-7 hours, even giving me the confidence to start tapering off the drug - very slowly - and over the coming months to eliminate my dependence on it. That's my desperate hope, but it's looking good because the greatly improved sleep and my very slow tapering method has allowed me to reduce the drug by 20% so far (2 months) without any side effects.

So how is this drug habit related to O & O you may be asking? Well, for a start, my comparison with how drug addiction begins innocently enough, slowly building up to dependence and eventually getting out of control. Obesity doesn't suddenly happen, it starts with overweight and gradually carries on from there. And what is 'overweight'? It's not quantified nor qualified by BMI, although there are obvious comparisons. Does one pound over my defined BMI calculation make me overweight? or 2 lbs? Of course not, but that can be the thin end of the wedge for some, so that before long it could certainly lead to being overweight if not monitored and dealt with.

Now here is where I'm going to stick my neck out and put forward an idea I came across, funnily enough (no, it's not actually funny) while researching for an alternative to my sleeping problem.

What I haven't revealed to you is how did I achieve that. Well first with an awful lot of online research, which led me to how the body operates at different levels, largely through its complex system of neurotransmitters. These are fed by a small number of amino acids (9 or thereabouts I think, I'm not a medical expert, just quoting from memory what I have read). Among these amino acids is one called serotonin, and it is a key amino acid having the role of not only operating in its own brain area but of collaborating with/regulating the remaining amino acids.

Some of you reading this may have heard of serotonin, or know that it has a strong influence on sleep. A Google search will provide you with as much knowledge as I have found, which I suggest you do anyway.

Once I had a grasp of this I looked for how to get some of it, on the basis that if I increase my serotonin level, it might help me sleep better without taking other drugs.

There is an African shrub - Griffonia Simpliconia - whose seeds produce an ingredient known as 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) that, when taken as a supplement, produces serotonin that gets into the brain. It overcomes the problem of eating foods that contain tryptophan, which gets converted to serotonin but almost all of this ends up in the gut.

Taking the recommended night time dose of 2 x 100 mgs 5-HTP did just that for me, greatly improving sleep, as well as mood, confidence, and a lot more that I hadn't even been looking for, but have been very welcome bonuses.

Is that the end of my story? Not quite, in fact it takes me back to the beginning, because as I said earlier (funnily enough) 5-HTP has also been tested and found very beneficial towards helping weight reduction, especially if combined with an appropriate diet. Double blind tests (described as the 'gold standard' as far as tests are concerned) found impressive results reducing weight among groups of overweight women, and men, although less men were tested.

How does it do this? It's not a diet pill, but via the body's neurotransmitter system which controls mood and other mind matters, it helps suppress appetite, particularly on weight increasing carbs like sugar. It produces a sense of fullness or satiety. As simple as that.

Now I am not suggesting that 5-HTP is the panacea for either O or O, but could it be the start of something good for some willing to try it?

I began this as a discussion, and that's all my input is meant for. Why not do some research of your own, Google serotonin or 5-HTP.   Ignore the ads, look for unbiased information, research papers. By all means look at some of the many user reviews of 5-HTP which is readily available to buy and is not expensive by any means, but try to draw your own conclusions.

Could 5-HTP be the opposite thin end of the wedge to help some O & O folk slowly but steadily win their 'battle of the bulge'? I really don't know, but if it does for them what it did for me and my sleep - they won't regret trying.

Most, sadly not all, problems have a solution. The trick is finding the right one. It has taken me years to find my right solution, so perhaps what I've written here may help some towards a quicker solution finding theirs. Here's hoping!!!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

trying this one

Rose

• Posted

Hello Rose!

That was painless! OK - we've lost all the old posts but we pretty much know the score. At least we have more space here (for a while, anyway.)

Did you get back to sleep after your rude awakening from the 'builders yard' noise? Must have been pretty worrying/frightening at the time. No strong winds here (at least I didn't hear any, but then I'm half deaf so can't be certain).

We both seem to be having sleep highs and lows, and mine has been lower recently, due to increase of back pain waking me between 3,30 and 4.30 generally. I then get up, make a hot water bottle to soothe the back and generally get back to sleep. Broken sleep has its problems as you know, sometimes leading to dropping off during day, and that can upset what litte sleep pattern you are getting. Another vicious circle. If I up the dose to 200 mg I'm unable to arouse myself in spite of the nagging pain, which was the case last night. Slept until 7 am and once up the pain subsides. Have an osteo visit tomorrow that might help soothe the inflamed joint.

Will leave it here to allow you to confirm new meet up.

Will.x

• Posted

Hello again Will,

Things are very jumpy again this evening. I am writing a little earlier than usual as I am tired from my stormy night, and want to go to bed early. And also I don't want to make endless typing mistakes, as I realise I do but too late.

One of the difficulties in composing a slightly (!) longer post is that the box seems to be designed for no more than about ten lines. After that the text scrolls out of sight. It is hard to keep a sort of overview, and frankly to keep track of what one writes. Scrolling back and forth has its own problem too.

To answer your question, I have drifted through my day and not gone out for my usual walk on the seafront, deterred by the strong gale-force wind and my lack of energy. But I'll be all right tomorrow after a good night sleep. Hopefully there will be no disturbing noises in the night. 

The garden took a bit of battering too. One of my favourite climbing rose trees  (Iceberg) was thrown down from its trellis and branches broke. 

Fortunately, a friend called in unexpectedly (sent by God) and helped me pull it up and retie it the best I could.

I am surprised that you have been spared by the elements. The forecast showed a very different picture for EA.

My teeth have taken a turn for the worst again. Don't understand! I had to have one tooth extracted two or three years ago and that seems to have affected most of my remaining teeth. Now I reckon I'll have to have several more extractions. I have an appointment with a London clinic next week, for possible dental treatment in Budapest!... Their prices for implants are so much more affordable than in England. And you get to have a break in a beautiful, historic European city. Will see what transpires after the intial consultation.

One tooth gone and all the others follow, like little white sheep!!!!!

Soon I won't have anything to count to send me to sleep!!!!

I am surprised the way you seem to be affected by your 200mg of 5-HTP. "unable to arouse" yourself??? Tell me more. 

I wake up regularly to spend a penny but manage to go back to sleep. Last night was different because of the shock of all that noise and the fear. My mind could not shut down again... until 6.30. Than I was woken up again at 9am by the enormous clanger of the rubbish collection. What a din!!! 

Broken sleep is not for me. Maybe it is partly pshychological. I feel robbed when that happens -even when I was on Amit. It feels as if my brithright has been violated!!!!

Nice to be on this new page. Maybe you can tell me more about your long and interesting life, particularly during the war.

If you know "Foyle's war", I can tell you I live a bit further west, in a lovely town at the foot of the South Downs.

When our children were little, we used to live in a house that had been especially built for Canadian officers. Apparently many Canadians had been posted to this part of the world to help the Brits in their war effort and also, I believe, prepare for D Day. 

We had the house rewired when we firts moved in (1977) and the electrician found some amunitions hidden under the floor boards. I can't remember what we did with the find!!!

I now live very close to the Seafront and my old neighbours (now diceased) told me about the military exercises on the beach near us and the involvement of Canadian troops. They also told me about some horrendous bombing attacks on Beachy Head, but I don't remember the details. I am sure Google has all the answers.

Must talk about health not the war!!!!

Again, I wish you a good night sleep. Long, unbroken and pain free. 

By the way, has anybody told you you are an extraordinary person? 

I'll you more another day!

Hope that thought alone will be like the best sleep aid you'll need tonight!

Rose x 

• Posted

Hello Rose

I had a feeling that last night's disrturbance might have upset you, judging from what you described. I assume - like me - you live alone, and even though my hearing is greatly diminished, that mostly applies to conversations, and other noises can alert me to think something's not right. It's not panic or fear, I guess it's to do with the 'fight or flight' self-preservation response that's built into all our brains.

I often hear strange noises in the sense that I simply don't recognise them, and am also unable to tell from what direction they came. This applied to the once new fridge freezer that made incredible wheezing/whining noises on thermostat startup causing me to leap out of chair and search rooms for cause. Other noises come from outside but appear to come from in the bungalow (that's after I've tracked it down, if at all). With hearing aids on I hear far too much, like ticking clocks or dripping taps, but I really have no need for them in the house so only wear them  when I go out shopping, or am meeting people.

I won't spend too long on this as I know you wan't to get to bed earlier. Thanks for your kind words, I'll think of them if/when difficult to get to sleep!

My new BT hub for fibre arrived today and it occasionally plays up. Am due to be connected to fibre sometime tomorrow so hope that all goes well.

Sleep well!

Will.x

• Posted

Hello Rose, quite a lot to talk about!

I hope you slept like a log, or at least got a good night’s rest. I managed about 6 hours, several of those nagged by back but feel OK now I’m up.

I gave thought to your niggles of typing mistakes and small box into which reply goes, and I also find them a nuisance. There’s a fairly simply way around this.  I’m sure you are good with MS Word or other word processor. You may have a link to it from Start Button.

You can do all this without even logging on to forum if you wish!

Looking at the post, left click mouse at start of its first line, click and hold down left mouse button, draw it across fully to right - text should highlight in blue. Still holding button down, draw mouse down to bottom right of post, and whole post highlights blue. Release left button, then click right button, find Copy option and left click that. You have made a full copy!

Open any Word document and right click mouse on blank page, click Paste option. You now have the post as a Word document to go through at your leisure.

Create space above copied post to start your response (one line will do), read post then type your first response. Delete all of post below that until the next response point. Repeat until complete. You should now have your response all on its own.

Press Ctrl and A keys and whole document highlights. Right click, select Copy.

Go to forum, and if not logged in, do so. Click “Reply to” and in “Reply” box right click mouse, select Paste and your whole post appears. You will need to remove extra space lines this creates but otherwise you have a near perfect response. Your Word program should have Spell Check so errors highlight as you type them!  I hope this helps - it should lower your BP/frustration levels too!!

Shame about your garden but nice to have a friend when in need. I checked garden today and glad to say no damage. I spent a lot of last summer repairing fences after wind damage and all seems OK. 

Teeth (!!) I’m afraid do age; I think much depends on how strong they build in childhood, plus genetic factors. They should keep reasonably well if plenty of calcium in diet. I’m sure mine benefited from the daily 1/3 pint of milk we got at school. At home we could only afford condensed milk!

Budapest eh? I can think of worse places to have one’s dentures doctored. I hate dentist’s but, given the energy to get there and back would gladly pay to have mine done there. Beautiful architecture. A holiday there should do wonders for your good spirits, as well as your teeth!

I used to watch Foyle’s War, though much of what’s on now is repeats. What a discovery in your old house!! That area was occupied by Canadians, and many would have been lost, injured or made POW’s after the disastrous Dieppe raid of 1942. That coastal area was also heavily bombarded by sneak raider and bombing attacks from occupied France.

I’ve composed this using my Copy/Word idea, so if you see this you might find worth trying and less hassle!

More to chat about on health matters once you’ve caught up. Am seeing osteo this afternoon and hope that eases back. 

As always, looking forward to hearing from you.

W.x

• Posted

Hello Will,

I hope the excitement of having BT engineers coming to install state-of-the art equipment hasn't kept you awake. If you are well on six hours then all is well.

I'll have to practice your suggestions for typing in MS Word mode. Sounds awfully complicated but will give it a try. Spelling for me has the added complication of language interference. Even now I will spell two similar words either the French or the English way. Apparently quite common in bi-lingual people.

Yes the SE coastal area was very vulnerable to attacks in WW2.

Will write more later. The weather has brightened up, but I went to chat to the builders in the garden and it is still blowing a gale... and quite cold! It is supposed to settle a bit this afternoon. I cannot stand wind. I feel it gets everywhere and goes right through your clothes and makes walking very difficult. 

Again did not sleep so well. 4 hours and then two. Not much! But I don't want to dwell on it. I might add Valerian to my routine tonight. 

Today and tomorrow, I am collecting the grandchildren from school and doing a bit of child care. 

Until later, have agood day,

Rose x

• Posted

Good morning Will, this sounds bright and cheery but I am not sure that it is a true expression of how I feel. I slept fairly well last night but now up at 5.30. Will go back to bed after this.

The problem is my teeth. I am in so much pain and it is deep down in my jaw. I have a constant "fluey" feeling round my head, as if I had a temperature. The ealiest appointment I could have with my dentist since he prescribed the AB is next Wed. I will request an extraction. I dread this. For pain relief I apply dispersible aspirin directly on the tooth/gum, where it hurts most. It is tasteless. I haven't tried clove oil. Is this something I can prepare myself or buy at the chemist's? 

It is all to do with gum recession. The dentist has been telling me that for years, with tips to look after my teeth, but I knew that sooner or later I would have to face the music. They have been particularly sensitive in the past two years and I had to stop eating all sorts of fruit, particularly strawberries and apples (except in smoothies). In the last few weeks, I have only been able to eat food that I thoroughly liquidise first. Not very nice! I long to bite into a proper apple.

I told my daughter yesterday that going to Budapest was not a luxury but a dire necessity. The alternative is risking losing all my teeth within a very short time. "I wish I'd looked after my teeth!". The sad irony is, I HAVE!!!

I don't know about genetics in this, as all my French side of the family have excellent teeth, including my 90 years mother.

No free milk in my neck of the wood. And, like you, condensed milk only at home. As children we loved it! I never thought of condensed milk as a status of poverty. It was just convenience but obviously I was wrong. We lived out in the sticks in those days, where there was no fridge or even gas or electricity. Water had to be stocked from a nearby well. So, very primitive!!! My family were of "peasant" stock, toiling the soil for a living. Life could be quite harsh then. Fortunately, I was whisked off to boarding school, care of the French state education, that demanded every child had an education from the age of 7, if not before, and that meant placing them in boarding schools if no school was found in the immediate proximity. That was in one on the French colonies in Africa where I was born!

We were repatriated in the early 60's. I only lived 4 years in mainland France then fell in love with England!

Both my children have beautiful teeth, and now my grand children! I am proud of that. And they too went to boarding schools, but of the posh fee-paying kind!

How did your day go yesterday? It sounded like a fun-packed day!!??? 

I have never seen an osteopath. But then, I have never had to. Is it efficient treatment for you? Let me know.

I have another busy day ahead of me. 

I expect you too. You sound as if your various activities are keeping you well and truly "out of mischief'!

Next time, I must tell you why I think you are extraordinary. No, don't blush!!!!

Take care and don't overdo it !!!!!!

Rose x

• Posted

Hello Rose

This is just a quickie response for now as I have to be out shortly. I'm utterly fascinated by your description of childhood days and early life, but will return to that later.

Due to your awful tooth/jaw pains and need for relief before your dental visit, my suggestion of clove oil may not be up to the mark but worth trying. What may prove better is Orajel which can be got from most pharmacies in Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys and the like, or drug stores Superdrug,  Boots etc.

I hope either helps until you get the causes treated - I truly feel for you.

Will write more fully after I get back.

Will.x

• Posted

Hello Will,

I am afraid I have started to feel very unwell. I have put it down to my teeth, but maybe it is the 5-HTP. 

I am thinking of discontinuing it for a few days to establish any connection.

The problem is that I have no alternative now. Will I sleeo or will I not? 

I am now worried about the future again as I thought I had found my panacea, my elixir of youth. 

I will have to go back to my Doctor. I cannot let this condition go unmonitored. 

I have tried just about every potion under the sun now. Nothing works. 

And I can't face another band of charlatans who come up with fanciful suggestions like I don't give time for the thing to work. But if you start to feel a sick as a "pregnant woman (I thought the comparison was better than the usual "as a d...", which is quite distasteful to me), what can you possibly do but abandon the noxious cause. As I said before, I am to have the final say in the matter.

I would be so disappointed if I find 5-HTP to be the cause of my nausea (not something I experienced to start with). Oh Dear!

Will write more later. Must soldier on.

Rose x

PS: It is D Day today. Hope you are voting SENSIBLY!

• Posted

Hello again Rose,

First to respond to what I have only just seen while compiling my response to  your previous post. I am so sorry to hear of this development, It has to be acknowledged that some do experience nausea from 5-HTP although most do so fairly quickly and you've now been on it for about 2 weeks? Some who do experience it say that it works off after a few days. No two are alike of course, and I wouldn't want to see  you with any further problems - you have enough already.

My GP wouldn't even discuss the topic, leaving me to make my own decisions. You could try 'soldiering on' for a few more days with 5-HTP, or halve the dose and perhaps add Valerian, or just try 2 tabs of valerian on its own? Sorry I can't be of more help, really am. As some have found nausea becomes less or goes, the benefits of 5-HTP for sleep, for them, outweight the downsides. I hope  this proves the  same for you!

Now to my intended reply. In spite of your very painful situation, you do sound brighter and cheerier than one would expect under the circumstances, so you are obviously fighting off (as well as you can) the pain and perhaps also the feelings of depression this can bring, as I know.

Your sleep may not be a good as you would like (me too!!) but is better than it was, and must be making a valuable contribution to how you feel. Did you add Valerian last night by the way? I have only done so by reducing from 200 mgs 5-HTP to 100, plus 1 Valerian tablet. It was OK but not quite as good as just 200 mgs 5-HTP.

I should have said that clove oil can be bought at most pharmacies. It has always helped my somewhat milder attacks of gum pain. I’ve not tried Orajel but it looks to be more effective for stronger pains in the jaw perhaps.

If your “fluey” feeling goes off after a while, it may somehow be an after effect of how you slept, or just feeling “one degree under”, something I’m often prone to without knowing why. 

I have gum recession, another fact of ageing for many, if not most. I’ve read that the way teeth are brushed can help slow this down, by firmly but gently brushing upwards or downwards from gums to teeth. Anything is worth trying, although I have to admit that putting such into a regular routine can sometimes out of the window if in a hurry or mind on other matters, Which is often the case!!

I also have “sensitive” teeth, and find that toothpastes for this such as Sensodyne do help. But other, less costly “sensitive” toothpastes also work as well. One such is obtainable from the same store I sent you to for Valerian. It’s called Sensitive Care by Arm & Hammer (honest!) at £1 for 125 g it’s good value, containing good old fashioned baking soda, among other ingredients. If not already using a sensitive paste I can recommend this.

The description of what your teeth limit you to foodwise does make it look as though they are in a fragile state, and unless there’s an underlying condition such as Periodontitis or Pyorrhea (both the same) only care/diet etc will help keep it under control. Your dentist should be able to tell you if you had this condition. It is basically an attack by microorganisms that adhere to teeth, leading to gum loss and bone decay. Often gum bleeding is present. One well recommended method for keeping such bacteria at bay is using a mouthwash like OraMD (expensive) but Listerine (from most pharmacies including supermarkets) is probably as good and cheap.

Re condensed milk, as children we were poor, definitely what, today, would be described as poverty (a much misused word) when we were simply poor: there were others much poorer than us and in poverty. (I only realised this much later in life). All around us were poor so we never thought ourselves as any different. Nowadays you are in poverty if you can’t afford the basics of living (TV/mobile phone/clothes/??? etc). Condensed milk was very good for sticking paper together, I seem to remember!

I told you I work for a charity, in a developing country. Their way of life is peasant-like and to some extent by choice (if only because they have no alternative options!). They have no mains anything, with wells for water (themselves and their livestock, on which they live). Their loos (very outdoors!!) are ‘long drop’ pits. Not primitive to them, being their accustomed way of life.

They too still had a good education system which enabled 95% literacy and numeracy, even decades ago. However they too now avail themselves of TV’s using satellite dishes powered by the sun via PV panels, and today’s generations increasingly don’t want to follow their parents’ way of life, in preference for ‘city’ life, but it’s not that simple when there isn’t the work.

I’ve used osteopathy over many years, and see my present practitioner every 8 weeks. He helps keep my back supple, but treatment can leave me feeling as though I’ve done 10 rounds with a heavyweight boxer for a day or to. I’ve also tried a chiropractor, acupuncture (Eastern and Western) but with similar or less benefit, so I stick with osteopathy.

I like keeping busy within my limits (which decrease slightly year on year, not unnaturally). The bungalow, garden and related work including cooking (simple stuff) helps ‘keep me out of mischief’ although chance would be a fine thing!!

I am intrigued as to why you think I am extraordinary, as I don’t feel it. People do tell me I don’t look my age, to which I often reply that at times I certainly feel my age. The osteopath yesterday said I was extraordinary (for my age, fitness wise I guess). So, I promise not to blush if you care to elaborate?

I try to follow my daughter’s advice about not overdoing things. I believe (now nearly 70) that she is finding her limitations while spending much time (husband too) helping look after their grandchildren and do other helping jobs for the children too.

Enough for now, I hope you find relief for your jaw pains, and your nausea too!! Take care.

Will.x

• Posted

Hello again Rose

I've been doing some research on the nauseous effect 5-HTP can have on some people, with a variety of results from stopping completely to reducing the dose, to spreading the dose across the day.

All 'professional' advice such as from online advisors with medical knowledge recommend seeing one's GP or healthcare advisor, which is fine if your GP is approachable. Mine wasn't so I hope yours is.

The majority of those with nausea found it less so, or disappeared when dose lowered. Time of taking dose may be relevent since some of it does remain in the gut and, under certain conditions, lead to nausea.

One 'professional' recommendation was for 50 mg to  be taken 3 times a day, half an hour before meals.

The majority of posts felt that 200 mgs was too much if nausea experienced, and to reduce to 100 or even 50, or leave off every few days. There are so many variations. It goes to show what havoc some prescription drugs can leave in their wake when used long term, leaving sufferers to pick their way out of the mess created by a GP looking for a quick way to get the patient out of the door. Some end up with a stack of additional drugs prescribed to offset the side effects of the previous. And this is still going on!

I'm not being very helpful by ranting, but it does make my blood boil!!

For what it's worth, one user getting nausea tried drinking a glass of ginger after nausea attack. Ginger is well-known for its soothing effect on stomach but I'm not recommending it, just passing the tip on.

I have previously said that most advise using a 5-HTP made from Griffonia seed, as it can be made synthetically. That should be OK but some believe that the herbal variety is better/safer.

If you feel inclined to carry on with 5-HTP, perhaps with a lower dose, or from another maker (that's another suggestion I came across), you could try the one I use which is in tablet form. Mine are 100 mgs but the supplier makes them also in 50 mgs so always possible to up or down the dose if/when needed. They deliver quickly, ordered online, seach the two keywords oxford (and) vitality.

I feel better now than I did first thing, having not slept too well largely due to stresses from osteo therapy. Did my voting duty while on way to shops and won't bother with news until tomorrow when all the fuss has died down. Or maybe just started anew!

I hope you are feeling better. As I've said before, your posts are a lot different to how I first found them, which says a lot about the 'new you'.

I hope too that your GP is more sympathetic than mine, but I don't regret going it alone (had no choice anyway), and am still cutting down minutely but daily on the benzo drug (25% to date, no withdrawal effects).

Take care..........and soldier on (or vice-versa!)

Will.x

• Posted

Dear, dearest Will,

How kind of you to spend so much of your time looking after me! I mean looking out for me and trying to find anwers. I so appreciate.

I started to feel better again once I went out in the fresh air this afternoon. I spent some lovely hours with my darling grand daughter (8 years-old), who is like a soul mate to me ... and the apple of my eye. We are very close. 

I am almost certain now that my symptoms of earlier have little to do if at all, with 5-HTP. I have felt so feverish in the last couple of days, with a bit of a headache and a heaviness around the eyes.. and even a runny nose that I realise it might be a touch of hayfever. I don't normally suffer with it but I know I am quite sensitive to dust. And there has been plenty around me recently. I can't explain the nausea but I'd like to think it was a one off. I have not experienced any nausea in the three weeks (I think that long) I have been on it. I can't imagine it would start now (I was aware of the possibility even before I took it, but I sailed through without it.)

So, I have taken my supp again tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. I have felt too great an improvement all round, for me to give it up so easily!

I won't write for long as I have had a long and busy day (and you). And same again right through to the end of the weekend. I hope to write more after that. I just wanted to re-assure and to thank you for your care and concern.

I do hope you have a good sleep tonight and no nagging pain from your tortured back. 

Tomorrow we shall wake up to an exciting new day or the very bleak prospect of further chaos in the country.

I cannot vote because I am a French national. Never adopted the British citizenship, simply out of laziness and lack of motivation. Now, with Brexit looming, I wish I had. However, I don't think I will be thrown out of England just yet. If so, I shall emigrate to Scotland... or Ireland (assumimg Scotland goes independent and stays in the EU!!! In the days of Donald Trump and other oddities, you never know what the future may hold... Only joking really!)

Good night dear friend

Rose x

• Posted

Dear Rose

From what you have described about flu-like symptons, headaches, runny nose et al, then followed by nausea does make for difficult decisions as to what the cause may be, especially when you have fairly recently begun taking a new supplement.

I think you are right to eliminate that as the cause, since apart from nausea, none of the other symptons have been associated as side effects, and, as you say, having gone 3 weeks without nausea does make that look like a one-off.

My concern was that as I had introduced you to 5-HTP, the least I could do was to try and help provide some background information about its ability to cause nausea, and learn how others had dealt with this.

I'm glad you are already feeling better, and a good dose of fresh air, in your case nice clean, healthy sea-air can be both bracing and invigorating.

Having your lovely grand daughter with you must also be of great comfort and joy. They seem to grow up so fast these days, and are so much better informed than children of past generations. Many converse as well as adults (even better than some!) and can be quite funny, as my daughter and husband find with their 2 grand children of 7 and 9.

I slept better last night although still feeling tired, but it has been a busy week with a lot of mental activity. After today (I have a charity meeting this afternoon) I have the week end to slow down and rest, and hopefully do a bit more in the garden.

Shame about your national identity not enabling you to vote, not that it would have avoided what is the worst possible outcome - a hung parliament!  Considering the vast chasm between the two manifestos (for what they are worth anyway) this can only slow down, even bog down, decisions and policies that need to be made to get us out of  the mess we are in.

Not worth losing any sleep over but it doesn't bode well I'm afraid.

Wishing you a pleasant and enjoyable week-end, and hopefully a return to and continuation of the benefits you have so far attained.

Will.x

• Posted

Dear Will,

I am still reeling with the results of the election. I very much regret not being able to have a say, but blame myself for my long-standing apathy. Too busy coping with just staying alive!!

Unlike you, I do believe every vote counts. I can't remember what MP now, won by just ONE vote!!!!

Mine would definitely have swang the outcome (tongue in cheek!).

It seems that in the last 12 months at least, I have woken up to some very strange results from the electorate -some quite shockingly unexpected! First Brexit, then Trump, now this!!! 

It all feels very unstable and unnerving.... But no chance of me emigrating to Scotland after all.

I do hope that "the worst possible outcome" for you (ie a hung parliament), is something you can live with and will feel better than any other alternatives.

I won't say anything any more on the subject. Let's turn / stick to boring health!

I am glad to report I am feeling so much better. I don't know what kind of freak event beset me yesterday, but today I am perfectly all right. Great even. I have been up since 5.30 am but I woke up then and could not go back to sleep because I couldn't wait to see the results of the election. So I got up and remained "glued" to TV until 8.30, in a state of shock! Then I decided life must go on.

But before that, I emailed a friend to have a good "rant" (we had, together, been weighing the odds for several weeks). 

Then at about 11am, another friend turned up unannounced, and again we chewed the rag together. This delayed my planned shopping trip and my attempt to make housework a priority, but I am not complaining. I always feel honoured and humbled when good friends turn to me for a good chat! It does make you feel valued.

WE actually went out for a coffee, at a cafe on the seafront, within short walking distance to where I live. Knowing that my friend is a notorious insomniac, I tried to "sell" her 5-HTP!

This lady is always complainig of feeling tired and not sleeping more than 5 hours, but she actually seems to thrive on it. She holds a fairly pressurised job as a senior civil servant, working to very tight deadlines, and yet she is always active and focussed. She has the added burden of having not one but two disabled children (now grown-up, but nevertheless very demanding of her attention!!!). She is quite extraordinary!

I said I would give her some of my tablets to try before she buys, but forgot to give it to her. But I can do that any time!

So, the word is spreading! Your outreach mission is expanding to the SE!

I would be so interested to hear about your work for this charity. As you can imagine, overseas sounds good to me.

Are you able to tell me what country it is???? I might actually know it!!! Sounds like where I was born, although that country (my birth place) is, by all accounts, now a fairly advanced, forward-looking country. But it does not always seem to reach the deepest recesses of "peasant" (agricultural) society, where as you say, a traditional way of life is the preferred choice, in spite of all the visible trappings of modernity. And I am not entirely against that. Indeed I am all for it... within reason!

So, if you can send me a separate link, one that will be passed, or some indicatoins to facilitate a search, it would be nice.

No back-breaking activities for you this weekend!

Tell me more about your own sleep these days (it feels like something to take one day at a time! For both of us). Hopefully tomorrow, there won't be any election to get me up at the crack of dawn, or builders to wake me up with the shrill noise of the door bell first thing in the morning. 

I do hope you too are looking forward to a peaceful weekend (for me it is not likely as I have a number of plans one way or another, mainly with my daughter and son-in-law, who will be coming to help me with some much need house clearance). 

Good night Will, 

God bless!

Rose x

PS: my weight loss is accelarating! I have now lost nearly 5 kilos. Not bad considreng that I have only been off Amit for 6 weeks now. I still have a long way to go to reached my previous wieght of 43 kilos, But I'll get there in the end. I am sure that 5-HTP has help curb my hunger, altough the process started immediately I discontinued the evil med. I will tell you more precisely what so impresses me about you... when I can give it proper time, as it deserves.

• Posted

Dear Rose

You, me, Mrs May and several million others are likewise reeling from the election results, which only goes to prove how divided a country we are. Not sure if any MP has ever won by just 1 vote but Kensington was pretty close with just 20 out of its 32,600 voters. On a 64% turnout that means over 18,000 didn’t vote. Is that a “win”?

I don’t think Mrs M can survive long needing DUP support every step of the way. I wish her luck as she is, or was, I believe, the strongest to carry through Brexit but will now struggle.

I would have preferred a landslide, not just for her sake but to gain political stability when most needed. Brexit apart, which alone will take superhuman efforts to negotiate, we need to sort our crumbling NHS, welfare, education and all else that’s in a woeful state, and simply won’t happen without enough majority to push changes through. Hung parliaments are just that - hung by lack of power to pass necessary legislation. That eventually leads to a confidence crisis, resignation, start all over again, Brexit negotiations going nowhere. What could be worse? Jeremy, I guess! But as you say, this is not the place for politics

Your friend may be one of those who can manage on 5 hours in spite of other pressures, although she sure does have a lot on her plate with 2 disabled and dependent children. Trump (sorry to have to mention him) is said to manage on 4 hours, but anything said about that guy needs a large pinch of salt.

I envy you and your lovely location near the seafront a short distance away. I have a riverside not too far but needs a short drive to get there. No contest though when compared to a seafront.

It still surprises me why 5-HTP hasn’t become better known, as it’s been around for a few decades. More publicity is found online than there used to be, with health articles giving it greater prominence. The one question that remains, for me, is how tolerant you may become on it. Maybe not a big issue if no side effects and same dose gives same benefits longer term. I may need it for months if only to allow getting myself off Nitrazepam.

In your case, apart from sleep, you may also be gaining its appetite suppression benefit, so need to watch that it doesn’t take your weight lower than is good for you. You seem to be well on the way to that goal!

Where our aid goes is not Africa, but Asia, Mongolia in fact. It’s been a nomadic society since Genghis Khan, out of public view as a Soviet state until 1992, and still very much ‘under the radar’ to outside world.  A third of its 3 million population are still herders living ‘in the sticks’ but are vastly outnumbered by their livestock - 70 million nationwide. A large part of the country is Gobi Desert but with mountains too, and endless plains (steppes). Their way of live is losing out to vast mineral deposits of coal, copper and gold that government and big internationals have invested huge amounts of money in. China takes 90% of exports but its decline led to Mongolia’s decline, now around zero growth. So herders get our aid until back on its feet. For intro to its problems, search article Guardian  ‘nomads no more’. Our work is not in the capital UB (or Save the Children) but more direct to herder households and livestock.

Was quite tired after yesterday’s meeting, down to a lot of preparation beforehand, so those matters should calm down now. Nice and sunny today, and I’ve a few flower beds to refurnish with bedding plants to take my mind off politics and other distractions. Definitely nothing back-breaking!

I went back to 100 mg of supp plus a valerian tablet last night. Was OK with about 6 hours sleep, but still laid in for another hour or so!  Yes, one day at a time is a good way of dealing with it!

Good luck with the house clearance - not a task I like doing, I tend to do mine in bits and pieces, but have made a lot of progress.

Enjoy the weekend!

Will.x

• Posted

Hello again Will,

Thank you for the info about your charity. Haven't had a chance to look it up yet. This si something quite different. Wonder how you got involved.

I shall try and be brief this evening as it is getting late.

Thank you for your concern about my weight loss Will, but having gain 10 kilos in 5 years, it will take me a while longer to get back to 43 kilos (5 kilos to go).

However since I feel so much lighter on my feet and therefore walking faster and further, I can only rejoice in my all round progress. 

The constant fluey feeling and congestion around my eyes and head do feel like hayfever. I am taking a decongestant this evening and therefore leaving out 5-HTP. See what happens. 

I will make an appointment with my doctor as I want other things checked. Not here!

I do hope you have had a good weekend. My goodness, what were you like aged 68?? Even on Nitrazepam, you are unstoppable!

I have a busy week ahead of me. So please don't worry if I don't write much.

Tues: London for my teeth. Wed: dentist for my extraction. Thurs: my usual school run. Fri: housework and shopping. Sat-Sun-Mon: off to Berkshire to see my son and family. Back next Mon. Hopefully my builders will be nearing completion of my project. 

I don't know about you but I am suddenly suffering with election overload. I have spent so much time writing, talking and chattering with friends about it since Friday that I am dizzy with it. Fascinating though. The trouble with politics it moves so quickly that if you blink you miss it. Won't say another word.

Will write more soon.

Sleep tight

Rose x

• Posted

Dear Rose,

Wow, you do have a busy schedule ahead of you!  I know you aren't looking forward to the dental appointments, but once over you should feel much better for the pain relief and sense of wellness they will provide. Does London appt mean that Budapest is out? Shame if so.

Good idea to stay off 5-HTP while taking antihistamines, as these can add to drowsiness. It does bother me when checking PIL's (Patient Information Leaflets) and OTC medication warnings of possible side effects they MIGHT bring (covering the makers' backs, of course). Don't let this put you off, but antihistamines can cause "dry mouth, nausea, drowsiness, dizzyness, moodiness, urine retention, blurred vision or confusion"!  Enough to put anyone off unless they've used them before without ill-effects.

At 43 kgs you were indeed a lightweight (featherweight?) in spite of being so petite! Even 48 kgs still puts you mid-range in the BMI guide, but it's still only a guide. I'm around BMI 21 where I've been most of my life. It's what suits you that matters, and you are well on the way to achieving that!

At 68, not long retired and busy doing up a neglected bungalow my wife and I had moved to. At 78 had moved to new bungalow, so more decorating/gardening! Still time to spare so took on 3 local volunteer jobs, including social transport for elderly (!!) to shops, hair appts, hospital or whatever. Had to give that up at 80 as voluntary services can't use drivers over 80 due to their insurance regulations.

Was still able to continue work with the charity I'd joined as it was largely computer related. A very small organisation, it needed a website (which I designed), better digital communications including a Newsletter. Then Treasurer left, so I took on that.........and much else bit by bit. When Secretary died 7 years ago the charity would have collapsed as he was centre of it. I knew the work so took that over. It's quite challenging raising funds for a country hardly anyone knows about.

The election outcome is and will be a rough ride for Mrs M. I think she deserved better but was ill-advised by too few (2 actually, and they've both rightly resigned). The slump in business confidence (57%) is a good guide to how the outcome is seen. As for Brexit, it's not at all heartening to learn that a loss of just 5% of EU trade will need almost 30% of other global trade to compensate! Time will tell and it's not on our side (and less on Mrs M's)

Was your cryptic link towards a less public means of communication Y/N?  "Joan Smith" found 69 million results on Google so would need a Turing machine to help home in on that link.

I slept better last night, have begun using a herb-based gel Devil's Claw for pain relief. Too early to tell, but first results look hopeful. Another "wait and see"!

Will bear in mind your busy away-from-home week. Hope all goes well with dental work!!

Will.x

• Posted

Dear Will,

Your message made me laugh out loud.

You do indeed have a Bletchley talent. Nothing escapes your razor sharp mind. And you wonder what is so extaordinary about you.

If you look back on my recent messages, many have been deleted. Although. I don't actually remember sending that many!! 

I don't understand.

As, I too have found out, nothing dot com passes. So we'll have to ditch this one for a while.

Yes to all your questions.

I also laughed out loud also because you obviously didn't think I had gone completely batty.

I better watch my p's and q's

• Posted

Dear Will,

I cannot write any more. I think I have been put on the blacklist. Sorry!

I'll try again tomorrow. R x

• Posted

Dear Will,

I am writing now rather than later as I am planning to retire early tonight. 

Hopefully you'll pick up my messages later today (quite a few today).

I have tried to look up your charity but unsuccessful. Is it to do with children??? 

My spelling is getting worse, I do hope you can rectify or fill in the blanks, or forgive me! I suffer from a kind of keyboard dislexsia and reverse all my letters. For example, i would write iles when it should read lies. Not that I have told you any lies! That's the only example I could think of! 

Missing letters are another one. So, it is quite painstaking to go back and check my spelling. I don't always do it successfully.

I have tried to buy Taurine on line. But again the choice is vast. I'll try the drugstore next time I am in town.

I was a pro-exit in principle, but did not expect the result! 

I think the press and the critics have been crass towards the PM, competing with each other for "hindsight" wisdom.

I am glad Michael Gove has been re-instated. He was too rare a talent to be rid of.

More stebacks for Teresa today.

She will have a tough time this evening with the 1922 brigade! Would love to be a fly on the wall.

I will write more on the post that started this discussion, but it will have to wait.

I close now, as I am not sure my page hasn't expired (time-out).

Rose 

• Posted

Hello Wiil, 

What's up? Have you given up on our freindship??? I hope not, but I also hope that you are all right. Not that you strike me as frail and delicate, but you never know.

And nobody would tell me.

I hope your friends and family live close by. You must tell me more.

I would hate to lose touch. There is still so much I'd like to find out about you. I so enjoyed your few biographical notes. I am hungry for more.

I also wanted to tell about my London expedition. I'll tell you in more detail another time, but for now I was absolutely delighted with the assessment. Apparently my teeth are in far better condition than I thought. Yes, I will need implants but only three to replace the missing ones. The rest is a matter of cosmetics, but nothing drastic. I won't end up with a dreadful Hollywood smile, loved by Americans all over (Donald Trum... and his wife and his daughter....).

So I am to keep own my teeth for a little longer. 

My elated mood of yesterday, on account of my dental visit, was somewhat marred by the shocking news of the towering inferno I woke up to this morning.

It really affected me and no doubt you too. That's the first thing my daughter told me this morning, particularly as I was in London myself yesterday.

I was quite shocked throughout the day. It is too dreaful to just shrug off. Those poor families

However, I am glad to tell you I have some further good news: my painful tooth is now out! It was remarkably easy, painless and quick. Apart from the time it took to numb my jaw, it took all of about three minutes for my dentist to pull it out. I was most impressed.

I did not feel at all "out of sorts" afterwards, but went about my daily business as usual. It is now a bit sore, but nothing I cannot handle. 

What about you Will? Has the Devil finally got His Claws into you?

I did not take time to check the last message I sent you with the inevitable result that it is crammed full of mistakes... not out of ignorance. I hope you believe that.

I do enjoy writing to you. I feel you are a friend. I have been telling you things I hardly tell any one I know. Partly because I no longer trust people. I do not, for example discuss my health, my sleep problems, my fatigue, my weight because they are too quick to jump in with their advice and their take on the problem (I mean, why I am suffering all these things etc... ) Who needs enemies when your friends tell you that you are you "highly strung" or a bit "neurotic", or "you need to relax..." , "the problem with you Rose is....". "What you need is to eat smaller portions" !!!

You must admit it is all a bit frustrating. So I hav learnt to talk only about the weather!!!

Have you ever been at the receiving end of such comments? I am sure you have. It happens to all of us. We all have well-meaning friends we wish to silence!!!! They do more harm than good.

Well I mustn't go on a ranting rampage just before bed time.

Please let me know how you are? You back, your sleep, your activities (gardening, photography ... ) I was hoping to find a way to a more private space and have your photos.

You never told me how tall you are. I imagine you quite tall and sprightly, looking much younger than your age. Fit, busy, active both physically and mentally. I have appreciated your searching, inquiring mind and the way you reach out to others to share your experience. That's really remarkable.

Well, I am sincerely hoping that your only problem these last two days is your shiny, squeak clean, new broadband connections and nothing more serious...

I do hope it is nothing I have said!!!!...

Nite, nite

Rose zzzzzzzzz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.