OA and pain medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 65 yo still working part time and have OA in my ankles, knees, hip, hands, neck and left shoulder.  At the moment I am in considerable pain and my doctor has recently prescribed 50mg of tramadol morning and night and Panadol three times a day.  I find the tramadol makes me very sleepy and as a teacher feel not quite with it.  I know this is not going to get any easier and will deteriorate even more o re time. I would like to continue working and need to find a way to manage the pain.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I suffer from widespread osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia. I take a drug called pregabalin for my nerve pain and find cocodamol 30/500 more effective for my pain but we do all differ. You would not be able to take tramadol or panadol with cocodamol though. I too find tramadol makes me sleepy. Do also ask your GP if he/she has checked your vit D and B12 levels as if you are deficient, your pain levels do increase. Nice to hear you are still teaching as it keeps your brain active and I'm sure this is something you enjoy. Wishing you well
  • Posted

Thanks Gizmo for you advice I think cocodonal is the same as Panadol oeste that we have in Australia.  I already take a tablet called cymbalta for fibromyalgia.  I take a vitamin D tablet and am reasonably sure my B12 levels are fine.  I am seeing my GP again next Wednesday and will speak to her about my options. 
    • Posted

Yes, I also take cymbalta for fibromyalgia. Pregabalin may be known to you as Lyrica. I have recently been having courses of reflexology which I have been finding helpful - I've suffered the past 20 years with migraine and sinus infections. My migraines were lasting for 3 days and I was getting them on a weekly basis hat I had to give up my job. I now no longer get migraines which is such a relief but it has not helped my arthritic pain as it is degenerative.
  • Posted

If you are in this much pain which locations are causing the most pain and isn't surgery an option? You will know which joints are most painful. 

I have had had extremly painful OA in my fingers and two replacement joints later not only am I pain free but I have movement back in the joints 

• Posted

Hello. I have osteoarthritis in many joints and take Codeine and Naproxen. Recently my GP prescribed me Nefopam which is another analgesic but not an opiate and therefore not addictive. Nefopam is routinely used for women in labour and given to post operative patients so it's obviously effective but the best thing about it is that it's safe to take alongside other analgesics because it works differently. I have found it so useful on days when I'm having a lot of pain. You can take 2-3 tablets up to 3 times a day.
  • Posted

thanks for your responses, two days of work finished and have the weekend to relax now.  I found I can't take both tramadol and Panadol oesteo when I am working I feel totally out of it, so it is one or the other. I am going to experiment with the media while I am at home this weekend see which oversees works the best without going to sleep.  The opinion in Australia seems to be that surgery particularly on knees does not do much for OA. It's just a matter of managing it. When I go to the doctors on Wednesday will ask her about exercise or Physio. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.