OA in neck

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with the above and have been doing neck exercises as advised by my physio. I get headaches and muzzy head feelings and just wondered if any of you have the same how you are coping with it. I just take anadin extra although my rhuematologist said to take paracetamol. They make me nauseous so I cannot take them. Maybe I should ask my GP for something stronger? It is very early OA apparently. Thanks for listening. Best wishes.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I have the same thing and did a lot of work with my physical therapist, trying to correct forward head position, there's online youtube exercises as well.  Eventually I went to a chiropractor and he had me do something different.  I can't say it is was helped but I did feel better around the same time.  

He did really 3 things:

1. He cracked my neck.  It feels a bit scary at first when he twists is abruptly but i had it done a dozen times now. 

2. Had me look straight up, head way back and hold it for 5 seconds, repeat 10 times every hour. You have to pull it back hard enough to develop a muscle, almost like you were trying to hold your body up against the top edge of a wall using just your head.  

3. He put this firm cushion (I use a foam roller at home) pretty much where my shoulder blades were while lying on my back.  It caused my head to be completely off the ground and dangling back (not touching the ground).  Very odd position but would help stretch out the neck and help reverse the position that my head is in sitting at a computer.  

I'm not a big fan of any medication unless it's unbearable because there are too many side effects and it's easy to confuse a side effect or withdrawl symptom from a real, physical effect. 

• Posted

Hi,

Many thanks for replying. I'm sorry you have neck problems also. I'm not sure I am brave enough to have the same treatment as you, if it works for you that's great. I gather that you spend a lot of time on a computer, me too. I think my problems started with bad posture and not taking regular breaks. Do you still get muggy head? I've had it a few days now but it could be migraine related as I suffer from migraines too. I've also been taking more pain killers than usual so it could be that also. Like you said, when you take meds it's hard to know what you true symptoms are. Thank you so much for your interesting post.

• Posted

In terms of muggy head, I guess I would describe it as having a hard time really concentrating for sure.  I also did have bouts of lightheadedness on and off for about 2 weeks but it disappeared.  

There's a helpful app you can install called forward head position (I think FHP) and you can have someone take a picture of your profile, then it will let you know how bad your posture is.  I think with cell phone and tablet tech, this is soon going to become an epidemic.  

BTW, like for most ailments, I've heard exercise is generally good all around, so walking briskly on a treadmill if you aren't the jogging type is probably a good thing. 

• Posted

Hi again,

After reading your post I looked up FHP and it all made sense. All my symptoms could be caused by poor posture, even arthritis. I read about the muscles under the base of the skull becoming tight in people with FHP causing dizziness and headaches. My head has been sore in these very spots. Furthermore, every inch the head protrudes forward adds 10 extra pounds of force on your neck, fascinating stuff. You have really given me something to concentrate on. My physio is spot on because the exercises she has given me are the same as those I've just read about. I feel much better now, thank you so much. I wish you well. Take care. A.

• Posted

Really great advice.  Thank you.  I too have OA in the neck region and have been learning alot about FHP.  I just installed the app on my phone and when my son comes for a visit on Easter I am going to have him take my picture.  I am very big on PT with this and strengthening the neck and shoulder muscles in impairative.  I try and take as little medication as possible at this stage, but I do have to take some.  I find that my exercises really help with my stress and muscle tension.  I too had some diziness in the begining, but has gotten better.  I am much more aware of my posture, especially when in front of the computer and looking at my cell phone.
    • Posted

Sure thing. If you search fhp on YouTube you'll see quite a few exercises and explanations for these crazy feelings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.