OA neck and spine symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I'm back again in need of reassurance. Does anyone have OA in neck, if so what symptoms do you have?I

I have so many and my anxiety is through the roof at the moment, constantly worrying.

Many thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lina.  I too have OA in my upper spine and neck, plus various other places.  At present the neck is at an early stage so my symptoms in that area are less than elsewhere but include dull aches and discomfort plus cramping, particularly if I sit or sleep at a wrong angle or do an activity that aggravates it - eg sitting at a computer screen for too long or not paying attention to posture etc.  I understand your anxiety but getting stressed can exacerbate the symptoms a lot.  Have a try at doing things to de-stress and relax because relaxed posture will have a really big beneficial effect on your symptoms.  Try looking into meditation, particularly mindfulness techniques.  See if you can get a physio appointment and they will provide you with sheets of suitable exercises for the neck and shoulders which really help.  They'll also give some good advice on what movements/activities to avoid to help it from getting worse.  In the end arthritis comes to a lot of us just through wear and tear but it doesnt always mean disability, sometimes just a case of being careful not to aggravate it.

• Posted

Hi Lina!

I have had O in my neck for 11 years now.

It started out being extremely painful and it was always accompanied by pain down to the middle of my shoulder blades.

No matter what I did, nothing helped. 

I've had surgery twice and although it did relieve a lot of the pain for awhile, unfortunately it's been back for 2 years now.

I won't do injections in my spine (I also have severe OA, Spinal Stenosis and Bone Spurs the entire length of my spine) and PT never helped. I'm currently taking Vicodin once a day, sometimes twice a day, if I can't get the pain to ease up.

I also take Celebrex once a day as well.

Sometimes the only thing that helps is laying flat on my back for an hour or so.

LOL! I've bought stock in Ben-Gay!

Just watch for numbness and tingling in your arms and fingers.

I'm sorry if I scared you but I believe in telling people everything (good or bad) about MY experiences.

I hope you find some relief!

• Posted

Hi miele,

Many thanks for replying. Your condition is more serious than mine, I take OTC painkillers and don't have the need for prescription meds yet. You sound very chirpy even though you must have pain and discomfort. It's heartening to hear someone sound as positive as you do.

I thank you and wish you well

Regards

Lina

• Posted

I have the beginnings of OA in my neck. But I also have it in my SI joints and facet joints which are in the lower back. I've been getting injections in my lower back for years and get a little bit of relief from it. I have not yet had an injection in my neck . For some reason the idea of getting an injection in my neck gives me the creeps . And there's a lot of controversy as to whether epidural injections will help or hurt. There is no point in worrying about your neck because worrying is not going to make it better. I think that some physical therapy might be in order and making sure you keep moving to keep things from progressing.

• Posted

I also have a stiff neck but haven't had it checked for OA.  I did go to a chiropractor who manipulated it (cracked it) but that seems to only last fleetingly.

There are some good neck exercises I googled up and do those twice a day.  You have to exercise that muscle like the rest of your body and I find yoga helps tremendously also.  It' s hard NOT to worry with chronic pain which of course is a major b***h.

• Posted

Hi everyone and thank you so much for replying. I identify with some of your symptoms and am so sorry you are all suffering too. I think the main message is not to stress out about it and learn to accept it and relax. I tend to over think things and imagine all sorts. Today I got in my car for the first time in a few months, it took a while to do it, pacing back and fore until I eventually plucked up courage to walk out of the door. I was out for less than an hour but there were no ill effects from it. I took my friend's dog for a walk when I got back and I hadn't done this in a while either. I am tired now though.

Some of my symptoms include muzzy head and tinnitus which none of you has mentioned. However, by coincidence I read something today about TTTS (tonic tensor tympani syndrome). It's an inner ear condition caused by stress and/or cervical problems such as c1 and c2 being out of alignment. The symptoms are very similar to mine, tinnitus, ear fulness, ache in ear, giddiness, noise sensitivity, side of neck ache. I have all of these. I am waiting for an ENT appointment for this.

Thanks for your support, I just need to build on today now.

Regards all

Lina

• Posted

HI Lina. Glad to hear you are getting out and about - exercise (of the right sort) is one of the best ways of keeping stiffness and pain at bay.  An awful lot of people have mild OA in the neck/upper back - it's usually repetitive strain from working at a desk or similar.  It's not always the end of the world, in a lot of cases it's mildly annoying. There are obviously those whose arthritis is linked to much more serious spinal issues and I feel real sympathy for those in so much pain.  You're spot on about stress causing issues - my pain is so much worse when I'm tense or stressed out.  The fuzzy head and tinnitus are often associated with misalignment iin the neck area, I have similar problems but if I rest, do a few recommended relaxation exercises etc., they tend to subside.

• Posted

Hi loxie,

You are right, there are many far worse off and I do have a lot of respect for them.

Thanks again for your reassurance.

Mine is probably caused by poor posture working on a computer all day, that is what my physio thinks.

I'm my own worst enemy worrying all the time.

your reply is much appreciated,

Regards

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I would suggest you see your doctor before any further chiro visits and let him make a proper diagnosis.

I also had bulging discs that were pressing against my spinal cord which could've caused serious problems had I left it undiagnosed.

• Posted

I have OA in my neck, cannot say when it began but I suspect I was very young.  Used to get the most horrible cricks in my neck, breathtaking actually.  Thought it was a pinched nerve.  Eventually told it was the result of OA in cervical spine, some of it rather advanced.  I got physiotherapy and to this day, thirty years later (now 70) I do these exercises religiously morning and evening, and very seldom get these sharp pains any more.  I also began to develop scoliosis, asked one physiotherapist why my neck seemed to be a bit askew and what could I do about it, but she said it was just the way my muscles were.  But I have a physiotherapist now who has given me some treatments to relieve spasmed muscles, done a little gentle manipulation (not like chiropractor) and more exercises for me, and my neck is much more straight now.  I have always been prone to stiff necks, and think this started in childhood, who knows when it developed into arthritis?  Anyway all this physical therapy and my devotion to caring for my neck seems to be helping.  It's definitely better than it was decades ago!

• Posted

Hi Anhaga,

Thank you for replying. It seems you have your condition very much under control through your hard work and persistence. I take my hat off to you. I too get that horrid cricking and crunching in my neck when I turn from side to side. When I was a teenager I was told I had spondylitis because I had a stiff neck then and had to wear a collar.

My physio seemed to think it was a misdiagnosis though because it hasn't bothered me until more than 30 years later. I wonder!!!

Keep up the good work,,

Regards

Lina

• Posted

Hi Lina 3x     I have recently been diagnosed with spondylitis which is a form of OA in the neck I have a lot of pain at the back of my neck I sometimes get an headache on the left side of my head my shoulders get very painful  it makes my left arm feel painful I find it difficult to sleep on that side for some reason I have morning stiffness in the morning I feel tired a lot but that might be medication. I also have OA of the lower spine which causes more problems  I am on Lyrica and Tramodol .   It's more annoying than anything I apologise if not not what you anted to hear but once you have got the right pain medication it should help ease the pain.  I wish you Luck take care. Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you have a lot to cope with but are managing well.

I used to have pain in my left shoulder but physio helped with that, it's not bothersome anymore. I can't sleep on my right side but it's not because of pain, I get giddy. It sounds like Bppv but I won't know until I see ENT. I too get morning stiffness but it goes once I start walking around. I'm sure if I didn't have anxiety issues a lot of my symptoms would go.

Once again, many thanks for replying and best wishes to you.

Regsrds

Lina

• Posted

i had oste art in neck and back and foot had injections at the local pain clinic in  neck and back neck totally successful and no pain now for over 2 years  back not so good jean barker 
    • Posted

Hi Jean

I'm glad you found some relief, at least. Two years is great to be without the neck pain. I haven't come to the injection stage yet but I feel I could use it though. The thought of 2 years without neck pain and all symptoms that go with it sounds like sheer bliss. I'm so sorry it hasn"t worked for your back though, must be very painful.

I hope you find all the relief you need soon.

Take Care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.