OA of the Hips

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone out there have the same symptoms as me?   I don't find walking (unless up hill, or a fair distance) to be much of a problem.   I get intense pain when I am in bed and lay on either hip.   I have been diagnosed with OA and was told that eventually will have to have replacements, but I find is odd that I don't suffer very much when I walk.   I have a memory foam mattress topper as I can't stand any form of mattress, they are too hard.  Hotels are a nightmare, I always have to ask for an extra pillow so that I can put it under my hips but it doesn't dull the pain much.   Does this ring a bell with anybody?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thats exactly how I started....lasted about 5 yrs or so gradualy getting worse, walking, standing and stairs became more and more difficult. Had right THR last year and now back to normal...wish I'd done it earlier!
  • Posted

I have the same with my left hip, I can walk miles and ride my horse with no or very little discomfort but get into bed and lie on my left and after a miniute or so it starts to get uncomfortable, like a continuous ache. The trouble is when I need to turn over my right shoulder starts to ache - can't win. Also I have noticed after doing a lot of walking and I sit down of an evening, when I go to get up both my hips are very painful for the first couple of steps and then they ease.
  • Posted

Madelaine it depends have you done any extreme physical activity such as gymanstics that could have caused damage. Suggest that you have 3 months HRT of 50microgm/day estrogen patch if your doc will agree its safe. You will see an improvement if its working it might take 6 months to completely recover
  • Posted

Thanks to those of you who have replied.  I see the Orthopaedic Surgeon tomorrow, so will see what happens then.

Madeleine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.