OA severe neck pain for about 2 months. Any ideas what I can do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 68 and have severe pain in my neck from OA and have had it for about 8 weeks.  I have been taking panadol osteo twice a day. Morning and night.  Then in the middle of the day panadol or sometimes codeine if it is really bad and it has been lately. Winter here in Australia and it might be that causing the pain.  My husband massages it with tiger balm oil it helps for a short time.  My left shoulder rotar cuff has completely torn and I wonder if that might be causing some referred pain. I am having that operated on in the next few months. I really need some ideas for my neck. I take mobic an anti inflammatory tablet for a few days as prescribed by my doctor but it doesn’t seem to help. Can anyone offer any other suggestions. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have the same problem. In my case, a hot water bottle helps the most along with paracetamol and tramadol but there doesn’t seem to be any long term cares. I do sleep without a pillow and wear a scarf at night(NZ winters). I don’t know if that really helps or not, though. 
  • Posted

I have been doing exercises prescribed by a physiotherapist for many years and find they really help.  I believe they strengthen the muscles which helps to keep the neck aligned and reduces stresses which lead to pain.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.