Oatmeal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have tried to stay away from as much insoluble fiber as possible but would like to add oatmeal to my diet.  Anyone have a problem with oatmeal and its fiber content.  There are 2 grams soluble and 2 grams insoluble.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Isn't insoluble fiber in oatmeal? 

• Posted

Both soluble and insoluble - check the label
    • Posted

Yeah I know it has both, but I just thought you meant you wanted to stay away from insoluble , so was letting  you know it was in there in case you didn't know. Sorry didn't mean anything wrong. Hugs!

• Posted

Sorry if I sounded upset!  I just answer stuff in short sentences!    My concern is the insoluble fiber in oatmeal.  Just asking if anyone has had a problem with it.  My problems stem from popcorn, nuts, seeds, skins - all insoluble fiber.  But cooked oatmeal seems less fibrous if you know what I mean.  Take popcorn, it has a lot of hard pieces to digest but oatmeal seems kinder somehow.
  • Posted

Oh okay,  I see what you was actually asking, for myself I never had a problem with oatmeal. I was wondering if anyone eats cream of wheat and if it's okay to eat with DD. 

• Posted

I have proper rolled oats almost every day (not the processed sachets of dust) and have never had a problem - in fact it actually seems to regulate my bowel movements.  I do soak them overnight though.  I either mix 40gm with 150ml fat free yogurt and chopped fresh fruit, and have it cold, or I mix 30 gm with 150ml cold water, 1 level dessert spoon skimmed milk powder, and 1/3 teaspoon stevia (artificial sweetener) and have it hot with a dash of cinammon and chopped fresh fruit.  It's the cheapest form of oats and great for your cholesterol levels.

• Posted

Thanks for your input.  I have eaten the oatmeal two days in a row now and haven't had any issues, but I know it might take a day or two to hit the colon!  I also soaked it in water and then cooked for 5 minutes.  I also ground it up in a food processor just to see what that consistency would be like and it was OK.  

• Posted

Hi , when I was first diagnosed with diverticular I was told to avoid any Spicey foods .. My can flare up @ times where i'm not sure if I have ate anything to kick it off?, I do know stress can also bring on a flare up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.