Obesity as a cause of AF.

Posted , 12 users are following.

My cardiologist believes obesity and alcohol are the main causes of AF. I have cut back a great deal on alcohol, but due to knee surgery and arthritis have found it impossible to do any weightbearing exercise. Has anyone lost weight and found their af greatly reduced or basically stopped?

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

After contributing to this discussion approx 2 weeks ago and bearing in mind I have had AF problems since 2011 with NO mention of loosing weight - although clearly I am a candidate for that best advise  - I saw a consultant today and he mentioned that loosing weight will help AF!   Didn't get into any great detail but would guess from it not being mentioned at all before there is now a general push on giving that good advise from Cardiologists.     I was not asked as others have been to loose weight before the operation will be done though.     Thought I would  add a note as would guess there is some directive to give that advise. 

• Posted

Interesting...The first cardiologist that first treated me only casually mentioned that it would be advantageous if I lost a bit of weight.

But when I was to referee to my Electrophysiologist there were no punches pulled at all! 

They were straight up with me and said losing weight will have a significant effect on the longer term outcomes of the ablation.

I Googledaround and found that there is a lot of research out there to support this claim.

So I lost the 15 kgs that I was told I needed to (which involved some significantly diet and lifestyle modifications). It was difficult, but I feel so much better for not having to carry 15kg of fat around everywhere I go!!

Its more than just a co-incident that the 'fattest' countries have the biggest AF occurrence.

I think your right Kate, there is probably a bit of a directive for cardiologists to tell patients about the benefits weight loss, probably because there's a growing pool of scientific research that shows a pretty strong link between the two.

Ithink cardiologist have skirted this 'elephant in the room' as weight loss is hard and they haven't wanted to upset their patients. This is starting to change though in light of mounting evidence.

'Overweight is risking fate' (sorry, but it's that simple.)

• Posted

this always confuses me a little, as I am not overweight only average about 46-47kg about right for my height.  the electrophysicist that I saw said my being so slim and female was not good for the op and he would rather keep me under control with meds and would only operate if he had to.  confused,com.

• Posted

So many confusing advice from the professionals. But there's no definitive answer to a fib. Some meds work for some of us, others,like me have no obvious improvement to a fib....but stopping the beta blosker has improved / eradicated all the rotten side effects. If you read Simons post...13 days or so ago, he suggests reading/ googling drjohnm and the legacy report. This has helped me so much as has the other poste from Simon. I hope this may help you and others.

• Posted

Yes Linda. It is confusing. There don't seem to be any concrete things about af. Like Simon said we have to eliminate potential risks and also avoid known triggers. Maybe you should see my cardiologist - he would probably love to do an ablation on you!!

• Posted

Yes indeed it is very confusing.   Many triggers  - many different responses and many different consultants - it's all pot luck.    We can only do are best and try and keep fit and healthy.     I saw a consultant yesterday and had AF when I got home ...hmmmm I wonder why that was maybe my unconscious thinking yeek I've just agreed to another ablation.   All for the best I'm sure!     Maybe this time next year we will both have lost some weight and know ourselves.     Good Luck. 

• Posted

Thanks. Good luck to you too. I have given up wheat, dairy and alcohol and swimming more so hopefully l can lose the excess weight and reduce my episodes of AF.
    • Posted

LOL! Consultants a trigger....giggle! Good one!
  • Posted

Join AA to stop entirely. What you gain by AA will help you understand that all people get Afib... including skinny people who don't drink at all. AA will help you

glide through loosing those extra pounds with a happyy heart and get you in better shape for the Ablation you will eventually get for Afib. The heart is a big muscle and fat around it makes it difficult for surgeons and for your own recovery.  Ablation was a "piece of Cake for me" you must see a good Electrophysiologist - that is a specialized heart surgeon that works on the electrical part. Keep moving forward. Much Love.

• Posted

I'm a skinny guy who never drinks alcohol and have AFib. The causes of AFIb are many and in general indicate some sort of heart health condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.