Obsessing over my teeth

Posted , 15 users are following.

Since November last year I have become very aware of my teeth, particularly my two front teeth. I've become so obsessed that those teeth are going to fall out and I spend a lot of my day prodding and touching them with my tongue. I have convinced myself they are wobbly and even eating is becoming a challenge as I don't want to bite into food in case it causes my teeth to become looser or worse, fall out! I'm too frightened to go to a dentist because I worry that they will confirm my fears and tell me I need to have my teeth removed and replaced. I think I've become so obsessed with my teeth that all of this behaviour is coming from my anxiety. I don't know how to stop this obsession, it's making me so miserable and no amount of reassurance from my loved ones is making any difference.

Anyone else had an experience similar or the same as me? Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

I'm a bit anxious over my teeth as well but feel like I'm doing everything possible to keep them in good condition. I even have had dreams where I'm spitting them out on the table. You might be interested in a tooth powder on-line. I use this tooth powder, oil-pull, floss, eat healthy foods, wear a night guard at night, get cleanings twice a year and take Coq10 for my gums ( I heard this helps). I take many other helpful supplements for my bones so I can only help they help my teeth too.

• Edited

I would just go to the dentist to make sure!!! They won't do anything at that visit, just evaluate. It's quite common to have aniexty going to the dentist and often times I cancel myself only to go a month or 2 later.. Because I feel if I DON"T see the dentist, my teeth could develop a problem that I don't know about.

• Edited

Thanks for your reply! I feel I take really good care of them and I have never suffered with pain or tooth ache which to me says that's a good sign?! I also wear a mouth guard at night as I do grind my teeth and this seems to help my anxiety slightly. I think I will face my worries and organise a trip to the dentist!

• Posted

Hi loubielou 1994

I just have this feeling that no amount of care will stop your constant obsession over your teeth. A true obsession is more of a mental issue, your mind is convinced there's something wrong with them or will be, for whatever reason. I would go to the dentist, get a complete check up, maybe get a second opinion, even third. Once you are assured your teeth are really Ok, then just continue to tale care of them normally. I that doesn't calm your obsession, maybe your mind needs a Dr in order to curb that obsession.

• Posted

hi i feel a bit like yourself, although i did have some tendernes in my front tooth after going back and fourth for 7 weeks an b eing so scared stiff of the deniest i hadoot canal ony front tooth, 4 weeks on and iace this horribble feeling my theeth are going to fall out and that they feel so stiff and ache andsometimes my gums above my theeth tingle, ive been to 2 different deniest and they have xrayed me and told me the tooth looks fine and the root canal was done fine and looks fine, so why am i feeling like this i have just picked up a mouth gard today and im praying this helps, the only time it doesnt bother me is when i sleep, but as soon as i wake up, bang its there all i do is clean my theeth and poke and prod them with my tonge i no this isnt normal and my anxity is going through the roof

• Edited

hi, so I have something similar to you I think. So for at least the past 2 maybe more years I have had this constant worry that my teeth are going to get cavities or ruined and when i go to the dentist which rather than going every 6 months with is the regular visiting schedule for the NHS in the UK I have to go more like every 3 because i become so obsessed with my teeth. For instance in class mostly i use my tongue to feel around my teeth and see if they feel weird whenever i look in the mirror i check my teeth and i have to use a certain toothpaste and no one can you use my tooth brush and floss and use mouthwash and time myself brushing my teeth because i would over brush them and my dentist said that could become a problem. When I'm at the dentist I end up crying because of the fear that i've ruined my teeth. It is horrible. Due to covid-19 all the dentist appointments were cancelled so I haven't had one since february and I'm really nervous to go back. This year I also seem to start crying at home because I cant go to the dentist. After my dentist appointment coming soon I am going to the hygienist which might hell. Also due to my exams which are coming up in a year and a bit, and i have to be as focused as possible for it, I might have to go to see someone professional to see if its some weird coping mechanism or something. This is also the only thing I can find on teeth obsession on the internet so this page really helped.

• Posted

i also have the sane problem, and i havent known anyone with the same issue. i constantly stress about my teeth, whether its them shifting, cavities, or other little things i can come up with. its terrible and i know its a mind thing but i dont know what to do to make myself feel better. its like when i go to the dentist and he tells me im okay, i still manage to find something to worry about right after

• Posted

this is very similar to what i have been feeling. over the past year or two now I have been having a recurring nightmare were my teeth are rotten or they are falling out and it is so realistic and absolutely terrifying, i can feel chunks of tooth floating around in my mouth in the dream. I brush my teeth everyday and floss and also use mouth wash and have never had any issue with my teeth before, but it makes no difference, i cannot help but obsess. I want to go to the dentist but i live in fear that if i go they will tell me i have a cavity and because of corona there have been limited appointments. I know i should go to ease my worries but i am so scared. i don't know how to deal with/curb my constant fear

• Posted

Hi

i have just read your post and this could be me..i feel for you as I'm doing the same thing and I'm going mad with it.

I'm constantly checking my teeth and its giving me terrible panic symptoms,my mouth is constantly dry too which isn't helpful..

I think the only way for me to deal with it is to face my fear and go to the dentist..i have booked an appointment to go! im petrified but can't go on like i have been.

i know this probably hasn't really helped but to know someone else is in the same boat helps a little

• Edited

l am facing the same problem, I've been constantly checking my teeth in the past few days, i know very well how it feels, the anxiety and panic and fear of them falling is just terrible it's just feels so terrible being in this situation, but hey! it's all about the mind, and there is a couple of things you need to know that will hopefully make you feel good, your teeth has a natural physiological mobility, that means you will feel a slight mobility, your teeth will not fall it is just negative thoughts your mind telling you, and if you been touching and putting pressure on your teeth and now you feel like its loose, then just leave it alone, it will heal and tighten up back, just trust me, and you need to have the mindset that you will leave it alone and never check it again, and also you can use a mouth wash it helps, last thing is that to meditate and try the guided anxiety relief ones you can find on youtube it really helps.

• Edited

Hi I have just read all of these responses and they totally resonate with me. Over the last 6 months I have become obsessively worried about my teeth, convincing myself that they feel wobbly and are going to fall out even though I can see in the mirror that they aren’t physically moving, I can’t seem to stop myself from thinking the worst. If my tooth feels slightly sensitive it will then take over my whole day and will eventually feel even worse by the evening as I will touch and look at my teeth all day and think about them to the point I’m probably making it worse.

I keep worrying I will go to sleep and wake up and one of them will have fallen out. I’ve asked my dentist and he just laughed at the idea of my teeth randomly falling out and reassured me there is nothing to be worried about, I’ve had x-rays and he said there’s no concerns. But I can genuinely feel a sensation in my mouth.. then I worry I’ve imagined it and it’s my health anxiety. My family are becoming tired of reassuring me and make me feel like I’m losing the plot - but it feels very real and scary to me. Can anyone please give me some advice on this that has been helpful for them, thank you and I hope by now you are all feeling much better about this

• Posted

i feel the same, been about 3 months now and always looking in the mirror at my teeth. i noticed a very small chip on my enamal and all ready been emailing the dentist. my wife tells me to get help. Its taking over my life and just want you to know you are not alone.

• Posted

Hi, I am currently going through the same thing, i was diagnosed with ocd 5/6 years ago and teeth/oral health seems to be my latest fear/obsession. I went to a private dentist yesterday and paid £129 for xrays to see if my teeth were attached properly with no risk of falling out, even though it was confirmed to me that everything is fine i still have intrusive thoughts of 'what if they missed something' or 'what if i get bad gum disease and they all fall out' . This obsessive fear leads to the compulsions-teeth brushing, constant reassurance seeking online googling things like what do healthy teeth look like to make sure mine are ok. This is why ocd is commonly known as the doubting disease-its the fear of uncertainty and its hellish but it does get better i promise!

• Posted

I have the same obsession and it is taking over my life. I constantly examine my teeth, worry about my two front teeth breaking and falling out, and worry that my teeth are shifting, etc. My teeth feel sore most of the time because I am clenching alot. I got a mouth guard made last December and I seem to really clench it at night but feel comfort in wearing it. I read every post as it feels good to know others have this issue. I have been to an orthodontist, a periodontist, and my own dentist. I feel I developed this during covid when I could not get into my dental office for a cleaning, I was working at home and became obsesses with flossing and brushing my teeth. Also my hygienist told me that my roots were very short in my two front teeth and asked me if my front teeth ever felt loose. After that, I developed an obsession. Any suggestions?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.