Obsessing over my teeth

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since November last year I have become very aware of my teeth, particularly my two front teeth. I've become so obsessed that those teeth are going to fall out and I spend a lot of my day prodding and touching them with my tongue. I have convinced myself they are wobbly and even eating is becoming a challenge as I don't want to bite into food in case it causes my teeth to become looser or worse, fall out! I'm too frightened to go to a dentist because I worry that they will confirm my fears and tell me I need to have my teeth removed and replaced. I think I've become so obsessed with my teeth that all of this behaviour is coming from my anxiety. I don't know how to stop this obsession, it's making me so miserable and no amount of reassurance from my loved ones is making any difference.

Anyone else had an experience similar or the same as me? Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm a bit anxious over my teeth as well but feel like I'm doing everything possible to keep them in good condition. I even have had dreams where I'm spitting them out on the table. You might be interested in a tooth powder on-line. I use this tooth powder, oil-pull, floss, eat healthy foods, wear a night guard at night, get cleanings twice a year and take Coq10 for my gums ( I heard this helps). I take many other helpful supplements for my bones so I can only help they help my teeth too.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I would just go to the dentist to make sure!!! They won't do anything at that visit, just evaluate. It's quite common to have aniexty going to the dentist and often times I cancel myself only to go a month or 2 later.. Because I feel if I DON"T see the dentist, my teeth could develop a problem that I don't know about.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! I feel I take really good care of them and I have never suffered with pain or tooth ache which to me says that's a good sign?! I also wear a mouth guard at night as I do grind my teeth and this seems to help my anxiety slightly. I think I will face my worries and organise a trip to the dentist!

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi loubielou 1994

I just have this feeling that no amount of care will stop your constant obsession over your teeth. A true obsession is more of a mental issue, your mind is convinced there's something wrong with them or will be, for whatever reason. I would go to the dentist, get a complete check up, maybe get a second opinion, even third. Once you are assured your teeth are really Ok, then just continue to tale care of them normally. I that doesn't calm your obsession, maybe your mind needs a Dr in order to curb that obsession.

Report Reply
  • Posted

hi i feel a bit like yourself, although i did have some tendernes in my front tooth after going back and fourth for 7 weeks an b eing so scared stiff of the deniest i hadoot canal ony front tooth, 4 weeks on and iace this horribble feeling my theeth are going to fall out and that they feel so stiff and ache andsometimes my gums above my theeth tingle, ive been to 2 different deniest and they have xrayed me and told me the tooth looks fine and the root canal was done fine and looks fine, so why am i feeling like this i have just picked up a mouth gard today and im praying this helps, the only time it doesnt bother me is when i sleep, but as soon as i wake up, bang its there all i do is clean my theeth and poke and prod them with my tonge i no this isnt normal and my anxity is going through the roof

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up