Obsessive thoughts are back

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking citalopram 20mg since November and I think it has helped overall, however over the last week or so my obsessive / intrusive thoughts have come back which has been very upsetting. Do I ride out this blip or try upping to 30mg? I'm losing hope of ever feeling completely well again sad I would be so grateful for any advice. Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think it's a blip.  Recovery often comes in waves, so you will be up and down for a while, though I expect they're easing off more now.  You can however sometimes get a blip pop out of the blue months after feeling well.

I Suffered obsessive intrusive thoughts, and found as I recovered and the anxiety and depression disappeared, so did the thoughts.  They don't bother me st all now that I've recovered.  I've only ever took up to 20mg.

I'd stick it out, go with the feelings and thoughts, understand it's a blip, know that it'll pass.

K x

• Posted

I forgot to reply before, but thank you so much for your wise advice and kind words when I was having a rough time a few weeks ago. I am feeling much better now. Love, S
  • Posted

Hi there

I can totally relate to what you are saying.  I too have sufferered from obssessive/intrustive thoughts.  They have nearly ruined my relationship on a number of occasions, but I have managed to get past them.  I was able to not up my medication, but simply ride them out.

I'm not sure what caused them, maybe they are just a blip.  The only thing I can suggest is to stay strong, and know that they are simply a part of your depression and that things will get better.

Stay strong.

xx 

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words Ally. I hope you are continuing to recover. I am feeling much better now but its a bumpy ride to say the least!! Its good to know we're not alone and thanks to you and Kate for your replies x
    • Posted

You are very welcome. I'm glad you are feeling a lot better xx
  • Posted

Hi there I am in similar situation been on citalopram from December, 20 mg from February also practising acceptance and Patience (with a big P). Feeling a lot better some unease in morning still and the thoughts and checking in lingering good to hear not alone keep letting them float through try not to give attention, thanks Kate for all the support again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.