Obstetric Cholestasis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i had a difficult pregnancy with my first baby and in the third trimester i started itching really bad. I kept going to my emergency antenatal ward and they kept sending me home telling me it was my hormones. At the time i was unaware of this condition but one of the midwives told me about it but said it was very rare and highly unlikely i had it. I was sent home again. I had an appointment at my doctors then for my normal check-up and my midwife there wouldn't even ring to check my blood results because of the low risk i might have it. Anyway, at 39 weeks and 1day i had a check-up at the hospital and they said they had 'just had my results back' (yeah sure) and i did have the condition and i was rushed for a scan. Thankfully everything was ok and i was induced the following morning. It was just luck that my baby was still healthy and the midwives should take the condition more seriously in my opinion. There is a hight risk that once you have had the condiotion in one pregnancy, you will always have it in other pregnancies so i WILL NOT BE messed around next time. At the end of the day, you know your own body and if you feel something isnt right then keep on at them till they sort it out.

Alison

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison

I to had the most terrible itching in both my pregnancies. My son is 25 and I have twins of 22 (ivf). The itching was so bad I nearly went mad and didnt sleep hardly in my last 3 months of pregnancy. i had it in both pregnancies.The consultant said he couldnt give me anything for it as I was pregnant. They never gave it a name! One doctor said it was probably a release of too much histamine. I was begging them to induce me early with my twins as I couldnt stand it..they wouldnt and I went to labour 3 wks early. after a week or so it went. The only way I had any relief from the itching which was all over my body was to stand in the shower and run cold water over myself! My deliveries were fine and children all well..it didnt seem to cause any complications. I am concerned now as I have found a name for it -my daughter is pregnant and have read it can be heredity. After undergoing Ivf and being so thrilled to be pregnant this condition spoilt my pregnancy which otherwise was fine. I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Maria

• Posted

Hi Alison
  • Posted

Hi Alison
  • Posted

Hi, I have itching and I just want to ask what kind of blood test you had. My GP gave me a normal liver function test. I think it should be bile acid test which can explain my condition. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.