Occasional muscle tremors?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have any of you had certain muscles randomly tremble since getting mono? It's not constant or everyday, and it usually only lasts for a few seconds when it does, but I've had it happen in my thumb, my feet, and once in my thigh. I'm on month 7 (almost 8), and am still very fatigued and with joint pain (and occasional stiffness). Doctor won't do anymore blood tests since they were clear last time apart from EBV and slightly low vitamin D.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ciela do you still have this (from your earlier post):

my eyes and nose have been dried out, and the vision in my right eye seems worse (but I might just have not noticed it before since I wasn't so hyperaware of everything then). But my biggest concern is that after I eat, I feel really shaky. My whole body will have tremors for up to 30 minutes almost immediately after eating and it really worries me.

• Posted

Hi Clove,

I just want to reassure that tremors does seem to be something that can happen and be a symptom during mono or any bad virus. It must be such a horrible and frightening thing, I do hope that you are okay and I want to reassure you that in the vast majority of cases this is just one of the seemingly endless list of symptoms with this thing which can be so hard to deal with but will pass over and go away with time.

Taking vitamins and herbs can help with tremors and the nervous system generally, a B complex vitamin per day can be really good for this, as can a good multi-vitamin per day and higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day). Also I have found that herbs such as chamomile, cayenne pepper and fever few can be really soothing for the nervous system and settle your body down. But of course I'm no expert, just going on personal experience and things that have helped me from my own research mainly, it's always wise to check for any interactions with other conditions / medication before taking any vitamins / herbs, or checking in with a doctor/ herbalist for advice.

It's a really good and supportive forum here for people going through mono and dealing with all the physical, mental and emotional pains of this thing. Message any time Clove and hope that you are doing okay and not feeling too bad at the moment.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Clove,

I don't feel shaky after eating much now unless I'm really stressed that day or I've been overworking myself, but I still have the dryness in my eyes and nose (which I think is what caused my worsened vision because my contacts dry out and blur).

• Posted

Hi Ciela, can I ask you a few questions:

1 - Do you or did you have a sweet tooth during this time (examples lots coffee / tea with sugar), lots desserts, ect ..

2 - Does eating sweets cause more tremors?

3 - Do you tremble more after exercising or hot baths / jacuzzi?

4 - Did any of your blood tests include Glucose Fasting and / or A1C test (last 3 months average of your blood sugar)? if so, were they normal?

5- Any Diabetes in your family history?

• Posted

Hi Clove,

While my family has a history of diabetes, I was checked for it twice and had normal blood sugar and all labs were clear except for showing EBV. I tremble after exercise, but only because I live a highly sedentary lifestyle and my muscles aren't used to strain.

• Posted

Thanks for reply, reason why I am asking:

I developed pulsating / tremors all over my body, about 5 weeks ago; had a few bouts previously, but this was the worst.

Doctor that I went to see the first time (2 years ago), had blood tests done, but not sugar levels. It started to go away after 5 days, and thought nothing of it (too much coffee I figured).

Two months ago, had 2 more bouts (3 days each), and it subsided. The last one was again pulsating tremors for the 1st week. I quit coffee, but the problem continued as tremors.

I started to realize that the tremors became worse after eating (like you); especially sugar.

• Eyes dry / vision worse (like you).

• Sinus dry (like you), to the point that one nostril was bleeding in the morning when I woke up; had to pinch my nose to clot.

• My lips dry (kinda like you with mouth).

It was that second week that I went for blood tests for another doctor, in which sugar was included for thyroid testing; tests showed my fasting glucose as prediabetes (A1C was "at risk").

Needless to say, I cut all sugar and lost a lot of weight (like you), but tremors persisted. Two weeks later, my blood glucose tests are normal again (with tremors).

Google search finds some people with the shakes after eating (mostly Diabetic forums), but no one with all the same symptoms combined, such as yourself.

Ciela did you have your glucose test while you were having the tremors? Most doctors would not suspect sugar as a possible culprit, and have it checked during the blood test.

As of today, I have been trying beta blocker propranolol with limited success, and will try another med to see if any progress.

So that's why all the questions Ciela; checking similarities.

I may attempt a prolonged / strict diet (no sugars), to see if this problem (sugar / nerves) needs weeks to resolve itself, instead of days.

My diet plan:

Breakfast: Raw Almonds

Lunch: Egg / Cheese Omelet

Dinner: Caesar Salad

Lots water with maybe fresh Ginger Root tea.

I have noticed that any eating (+exercises) before 5PM , makes sleeps better; less tremors.

BTW Ciela, coat your nostrils 2-3 times daily with any Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil (+lips). It will keep it hydrated.

• Posted

Hi Clove / Ciela,

This virus is so frustrating, I do hope that the tremors and all these horrible symptoms can settle down for you soon. That diet sounds like it could be very helpful indeed Clove, and any other herbs / foods which target soothing and helping the nervous system such as a B complex vitamin or foods high in B vitamins, cayenne pepper, chamomile, peppermint and feverfew.

Hang in there guys, with this virus it can be normal to go through phases of strange things like this from what I have read and learned through experience, in the vast majority of cases things settle with time as your body starts to recover, just so frustrating the longevity and intensity of this awful virus. Always wise checking in with the doc though if concerned and having blood tests monitor regularly too if possible, which hopefully can offer reassurance and put your mind at rest too.

Hoping for a good weekend for you both. Still believing God is going to get you through this and back to full health again with a little more time Clove and Ciela.

Craig

• Posted

This is my second time getting Mono. I am 8 weeks post partum. I've been into the urgent care 2 times and I've been admitted once. I have crazy heart palpations. I get jolted awake put of a dead sleep heart rate in the 120s and stays in the 100s I can feel my pulse all over. My face is tingly and my left arm and legs are also tingly. I also feel like I'm getting internal tremors. I feel like my body cannot stop moving. I've noticed weakness in my legs when I stand and I'm dizzy. I also noticed a tremor in my left hand so of corse I'm freaking the I have parkinsons or MS. I also feel sore and I get muscle spasms too. I wake up hott all over like hott flashes and my feet are always sweaty and when I try to rest at bed time my legs are restless. All my blood tests were normal other then my liver enzymes were elevated cuz I have glycogen storage disease and they said the fast heart rate is the virus. can anyone else relate to these symtoms. I'm a little scared I feel like my anxiety it on overload it is so hard to take care of my 2 month old. they discharged me and I don't feel much better.

• Posted

Hey Kimberly,

I can definitely relate to the chest pain/heart palpitations that wake you up at night. These have now mostly subsided for me. I know mono can play a very heavy role on you mentally. I found that doing some deep breathing exercises/relaxing as much as I could before bed would keep me from waking during the night.

I also currently 4 months in and have the tingling feelings and intense muscle stiffness/occasional lightheadedness when walking around. Many on this forum and in past threads have dealt with these symptoms and EBV/mono does an excellent job of masquerading as other diseases.

Best remedy is to rest (easier said than done) and you can always come back to these forums when you need words of comfort - it's what I do as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.