Occasional sweating

Posted , 13 users are following.

I AM ON 5.5 mg pred and for a few seconds I will have a hot flash( well beyond the age for that) out of the blue. This happens occasionally during the day and less at night. I take 1/2 mg at night and 5mg at breakfast. I Slowly taper 1/4 mg at a time with no flares. I am doing physiotherapy for some crazy injuries( twisting knee while turning in bed and too much resistance on the PILATES PERFORMER IN NOV. For these aches I take acetaminophen which also makes me sweat.

Can anyone relate?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have only been on Pred since Nov 2019 when diagnosed with GCA and PMR, likely cause was the flu jab I had 6 weeks before, its rare but has been known to affect some people:((

I am now only only 25mg and each month its lowered by 5mg then 2.5 when it gets to May and so on.

I started having awful sweats during the day, anytime, not long after i started on the Pred and also at night, they are quite debilitating and I really struggle to cope with them, I get soaked for about 10 mins then it passes, in fact i seeing my doc on 11th March about this. I was hoping they would subside once my Prednisolone was lowered to about 10mg but reading your thread maybe not. I am also well passed the age for these, of which I suffered for about 10 years.

I expect everyone reacts differently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will subside within a few more months, never wished my life away but on this occasion I cant wait for the next few months to pass.

• Posted

yep, i have them too...ever since being on pref (3 1/2 years, currently at 7 mg. been lower a couple times but had to go back up for various reasons. anyway, i get hot flashes where i want to rip my clothes off. i blame it on the pred. mine are during the day, cant relate them to anything.

• Posted

I have begun to sweat also, reducing 4 1/2 to 4. It might have started at 5 mgs. Not too much but enough to be uncomfortable.

• Posted

Prednisone is notorious for causing hot flashes. My least favorite thing about taking pred.

• Posted

I usually associated it with PMR showing its ugly head. Before PMR diagnosis, I had never sweat so much--clothes and bed soaked at night. Pred stopped that.

• Edited

YES!!!! All the time! it's apprx 65o right now, and I'm feeling like it's 85o! for me, it's been one of the Worst side effects of pred! I'm on 6mg. trying to wean down to 0!

• Edited

Returning sweats like that are one of the fairly sure indicators that I am verging on too low a dose - unless they happen to be between 2 and 4am, in which case it is probably the pred releasing and mounting up in the blood!!!

• Posted

i've always sweated on pred and especially after meals but I HAVE OTHER bizarre FEELINGS ThAT MAYBE i should stop taper for awhile.

I am more physically active than before. No pain though other than slight from recent injury.

• Edited

Never a bad idea to take a rest from pushing your body - even a couple of months just standing still and smelling the roses can make a big difference by taking away a source of stress. PMR/GCA thrive on stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.