Occasional syncope - black outs !

Posted , 5 users are following.

Apologies for long post ... I'm 67 male, long time social drinker but these days only beer and wine, not had any problems really but some years (8 or 9) ago after a few lunchtime Sunday beers I dozed in a chair in the garden and woke up on the floor with a scratch to me head ! ... I was concerned but thought it an odd one off but it has happened again (only twice since ie every 3 years or so). My wife witnessed the last incident and said I was "out" for seconds only.

I continue to think that it is booze related and whilst I only have 3 pints a night if I have 4 or 5 I'm aware of severe dehydration and a 'sticky' mouth so I drink loads of water and I think it helps and avoided any blackouts but still feel a bit rough. The 'feelings' are almost impossible to describe, a slight head spinning visual distortions and if I stand still the feeling goes away for a few hours and after a couple of days I'm back to normal - until the next time !

Anyone any ideas please ... it may not be alcohol related ... my BP seems ok - I take ramipril and statins but my general health is really good, I eat well and exercise.

Any comments welcome please.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You may have had a brief heart arrhythmia, eg. Atrial Fibrillation.  This is very common in the general population and can be aggravated or precipitated by alcohol.

Your doctor may want to have you wear a heart monitor for 24 hours, or longer.

Gold luck

• Posted

Thanks both - good of you to take the time, I don't cough but AF suggestion is worth exploring .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.