occassional agitation, tiredness

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have been a drinker for 40 years, average 60 units a week

i went cold turkey 20 days ago i struggled with mild withdrawal but although feeling better still get agitated and have no energy and feel tired

how long before i will be mormal

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, well done for these 20 Days, it must have been tough going cold Turkey. The lack of energy should subside when your body gets used to the dramatic sugar intake. 40 Years is a long time, do you remember what normal feels like? Each Day from now will feel a little better, keep up with what you are doing. Normality is something you will descover in yourself. Are you keeping active? What has changed or is missing from your Daily routine from 20 Days ago? Al
  • Posted

hi. I think that you are very brave and should get yourself  a treat!! Not champagne..ha ha...Cinemana, meal outside your home or CAKES...anybody who stops drinking will suddenly creave sugar even you may not normally like it...it takes 3 monhts in my opinion and that is my experience..I looked and felt better and had a GREAT sleep..not waking up all sweaty. Your intake was not a big as most user of this forum but still great that you stopped..keep going!! You can do it and will gradually feel better...Regards Robin
  • Posted

g7doddy

from experience, you're over the worst and a great achievement, you must be very proud.

40 years is a long time, so it won't be an overnight change. Lack of energy and feeling tired is normal. Taking thiamine tablets helped me as drinkers tend to have a very poor diet.

Good healthy food, exercise and drinking water will help get your energy back. You're sleep will improve which will also make you feel better. Your body is also missing the

sugar alcohol provided. I constantly craved chocolates, and doughnuts, infact all the things I hated before I stopped.

Like Robin has said it took me about 3/4 months to feel so much better. You will have good and bad days and eventually far more good days.

Stay with it and very well done

• Posted

Hi g7doddy

Thank goodness you did not suffer too much going cold turkey as my husband has life threatening seizures. Yes you might get sugar cravings, my husband eats about a 1lb of chocolate a day when he has detoxed!

One thing which may help you which, he is always prescribed with after detoxing is a strong b complex and thiamine b1.

Although I am not clinically trained, I understand that your brain and nerves will need this to help restore what the alcohol has washed away over the years of drinking.

You can buy them online if you dont want to see your GP obviously, use a reputable site.

The detox nurse says it takes about 2-3 months before you will feel ok again. If you dont mind seeing your GP, it might be a good idea to get a blood test just to make sure you are physically ok, then you can get the meds on prescription. Good luck and well done.

Kind Regards

JulieAnne

• Posted

Hi...congrats on 20 days!  I really think since when I go into the hospital...a BIG part of detox is taking the right vitamins. They always give Folic Acid and Vitamin B12.

I know these are very important because even after a month sober for myself after telling a new psychiatrist about my drinking he prescribed folic acid and B12 and a multivitamin. I was kind of surprised because in the past I have only been given these vitamins in the actual "detox" period of a week in a hopsital and the discharge notes never said to take these vitamins.

Your body is drained from drinking. I think if you get these vitamins you will feel better sooner.

• Posted

They are usually given long term, because there is a severe depletion of them in the body and it takes a long time for the body to normalise.

Also, the ex-patient may not start to eat normally (foods containing the vitamins) for some time afterwards.

Finally, many ex-drinkers willl have gastritis, which prevents the body absorbing the vitamins from food.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.