Occipital Neuralgia w/ Herpes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ever since I've contracted HSV2 my life has been a living hell! I've been having sharp pains all over my body , leg pains, itching sensation all over my body, and last but not least pains in the back of my head and neck which sometimes radiates to my scalp. can herpes cause this to happen? If so is it life threatening or deadly?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just realised that you also posted that question about the military (think you changed your username at some point). Anyway, given what you recall from your results (the words mono and herpes) and your all-over symptoms, I now suspect it is mono/EBV again, not genital herpes. Mono/EBV can cause intense fatigue, muscle/eye pain, nerve issues and even a rash (possible on the genitals - had to Google, as your symptoms and strange half-heard diagnosis have me most curious!). Quite a nasty viral illness that can make you feel like sh!t for a few weeks, if you're unlucky. rolleyes Do call your clinic tomorrow to confirm your diagnosis and I hope you feel better soon! smile
    • Posted

Oh man, I am devestated... So is it possible that I may be transmitting HSV-2 orally to people?

I am anxiously waiting for the lab results for the type... And at this point I have one little scab left on my face from scratching my skin two days ago. (This time, I think due to high stress: it didn't heal properly within 24 hours, and left a tiny scab, that very well may pass for a cold sore) I wonder if I can go and demand to get that swabbed for pcr today?

Honestly at this point I will pay for anything to get proper answers, even if I don't have the funds for it.

The mental toll this is putting on me, it's killing me.

• Posted

Gosh, no, how did you interpret that from my reply? You already tested negative for Type 2, besides which Type 2 rarely infects the mouth (very site specific, so nearly always genital). I am not even convinced your oral symptoms are necessarily Type 1, but could be. Yes, definitely wait for your results if you got tested recently (what kind of test was it?), and wait for the face rash to occur again, then test by pcr if this latest test was not a swab. Although pcr is very good, one mostly healed spot may not be sufficient, so better to test when you can be assured of sound results, otherwise you will continue to wonder and stress yourself out.
    • Posted

Is there anyway you could post a picture of your face rash.  Not that I don't trust you, but your posts are somewhat all over the place.  You tend to contradict some previous statements you have made and what FelisCatus is stating to you. 

I have also been dealing with a strange rash on my face since all my issues started.  I would like to see what exactly you are dealing with.  Thank you.

• Posted

No, usually face or lower body, depending on where you have it, but I don't think that you do. Mono/EBV, however, can cause issues all over.
    • Posted

See I tried to call the people to get my results but they never answer. That disease is worse than herpes isn't it if that's what it is.
    • Posted

It's not pleasant for sure, but it's also not an STD with a horrible social stigma, which makes it way better, imo!
    • Posted

Everything's starting to make sense to me now because I hardly ever get outbreaks only except for the instance I told you about. That's it! I've never had any cold sores or anything so I don't know what to think.
    • Posted

Did you confirm your diagnosis? I don't know much about EBV, but from what I can gather you usually only get it once, but it can recur in rare cases (e.g., if you become immunosuppressed for whatever reason). It can last for weeks to months the first time, and neuropathy can occur. Shedding is possible upon reactivation. Did you feel really ill and fatigued at the peak of infection, and how long did the worst of it last?
    • Posted

No they told me that all of the results were deleted because I participated in a case study or something like that. Imma have to go somewhere and get checked again to get a diagnosis. Yes I felt really ill and fatigued when I first got it. I had my first really bad outbreak last month and it lasted the whole month. I looked at the sores in the mirror and it really didn't look like herpes as described in the description. It was like a risen without puss and they're extremely painful and every time I take a BM I get an itching sensation like I have  hemorrhoids or something. The sore recently have gone down since I applied some diluted oil of oregano on them which has also alleviated the pain. 
    • Posted

That is just bizarre and doesn't make any sense. Why would they delete your results? So, without symptoms to swab for herpes, you will have to test for IgG antibodies. Think they can do the same for EBV, but I'm not familiar with EBV.
    • Posted

Ikr! That is crazy! I don't think those people know what they are doing. Imma just go somewhere else and get the test done.
    • Posted

That's your diagnosis? So, they didn't delete it after all? Was it by IgG blood test? Then what was the thing about "mono" that you recall? Very strange. Anyway, sorry to hear that, but, no, gHSV-2 doesn't cause nerve issues in the upper body. The infected nerve body is the sacral ganglia, which serves the boxer shorts region, hence why lesions are limited to this area (waist to upper thighs). Nerve pain occurs in this same area, sometimes radiating down the legs in some people, but not up the body. If you are having pain/nerve issues all over, I would see a doctor, as that's not typical of gHSV-2 and it could well be something else. Honestly, it does sound more like mono/EBV!
    • Posted

Yes that's my diagnosis and they had to look it up through the company that sponsored the testing. I think I have both because I remember one of the nurses telling me that way before I was diagnosed with 2. Maybe I had 2 in my mouth idk because I know that's very possible and idk where they got that mono from. I'm going to get tested for that particular disease when I get some good health insurance so that I can have self-awareness and treat my illnesses accordingly to attain an optimal quality of life, health status, and wellbeing. Once again, thank you so much for your help! ☺️
    • Posted

Ouch, that sucks if you have both! HSV-2 is rarely oral, so it is probably genital, I'm afraid, and explains your lesions there, although EBV can cause rashes (but not typically blisters or sores). Anyway, yes, I agree it's good to know what you're dealing with, and the best of luck with sorting that out and your military aspirations. Stay healthy and stay strong! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.