Occult Ganglion Cyst in wrist

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently awaiting surgery for an occult ganglion cyst in my right wrist as confirmed by MRI.

In the last month or so I have had increasing intermittent pain in my left wrist, what are the chances that there is also a cyst in that joint as well?

Can they happen together like that or would it be purely coincedental?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

A ganglion is a cyst, ie ganglion cyst. There is an old wife’s tale that you should hit it with the family bible. My grandmother used to hit a ganglion in her wrist with a hammer, which I thought was a bit dangerous. Get rid of the ganglion but have a shattered wrist instead. I had a ganglion in my wrist and the orthopaedic surgeon, who was a friend of the family, just pressed it very hard which was pretty painful but it did go away. I have got rid of ganglions in my wrist that way ever since. I must admit I did try hitting it with a small hammer as well! 
    • Posted

Mine is an occult one which means it is hidden down in the joint. They actually have to open my wrist under general anaesthetic, so its not an easy fix unfortunately.
  • Posted

Yes they can happen like that. I wonder if your job involves a lot of keyboard work? eg typing reports/letters etc all day long.  It can be long term damage caused by this sort of work,but easily relieved by surgery. Some people seem to be more prone to ganglions than others even when they hardly touch a keyboard.
    • Posted

Im a nurse so lots of writing but right hand only. The one I am getting operated on soon, became a problem after doing CPR 18months ago, but my left wrist has only started hurting recently for no apparent reason. The only way to see the current ganglion was with an MRI so its a pain to have to go through the whole process again then have it removed!

And then 10days in a big bandage with a baby, ooooh heck

• Posted

I've had 1 in each wrist and now 1 on the top of my hand. Didn't have surgery for any. They have a high chance of coming back. They go away eventually. 

D

• Posted

I have a ganglion above my left wrist sad

It must be because of my bad position holding the violin. Now I believe I have matching ganglion cysts at the base of each thumb. They just got really big all of a sudden. 

Plus I gave Dupuytren’s in both hands. I’ll be seeing hand doctor soon.

• Posted

I read that the NHS are not going to operate on Dupuytrens any more to save money. I hope they sort you out OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.