Occupational Therapy Visit.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm 4half mths p.o.. I'm still off work, and been sent a letter to go to occupational therapy. It really makes you feel bad, as if you are lying to them. My hip is healing well. It's my foot and heel that is sore. Still swollen (most days) I had few hectic days it was my birthday so out with daughters then hubby took me out for meal (all walking) I had to sit most of yesterday, as foot had come up. I've seen doctor about it. He said it can take up to 12 mths to get back to normal😧 I wish I was feeling good enough to go bk to work. Going away on holiday next wk (Already canceled one because of my op) I will end up with mobility scooter to get about. No long walks for me. At least I'll have a pool every day for exercise.

Take care, happy healing to you all.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I work for the NHS and like many companies Occ Health has a policy on getting involved in long term absence as in THR. It is not that they think you are lying but partly to keep an eye on you and to help if possible. I was able to get hydrotherapy by involving Occ Health and arrange a very slow phased return. Use them if you need to
    • Posted

Honestly I would recommended hydrotherapy for almost everyone - it made that much difference for me. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Brenda, 

Happy belated birthday ... sounds as if you had a great day ...

What kind of job do you have?  

it is annoying to hear that all of it is part of the healing process, but it really is ...

where are you going to ?  

Maggie is always the voice of reason, she knows so much and is such a wise woman --- 

Take care and enjoy your holiday

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, I had a lovely birthday & getting spoilt. I am a school cleaner, so quite a physical job and one girl has left so her work has been spread between us 3 that are left. It's very demanding especially now since my op. I can't rush around like I used to. (Scared as well in case falling/slipping )

My whole family are going to Majorca for our hols. I can't wait.

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi also do a cleaner job I do the job just me and

will be 11 weeks post the end of this week,I go up and down approx 600 stairs a day have to carry heavy cleaner up empty bins,carry rubbish down stairs,I'll have no help and once your back at

work it's get on with it,if I slip on wet floors is it

worth it? Don't no what to do especially if Doc

signs me off in two weeks. Hope your doing well

Hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi Brenda

I can understand how you feel, I'm 8 months post op and I'm still having problems with my foot. Initially the doctor told me it would take between 9 & 12 months to heal but I haven't seen any improvement. I feel nobody understands what it feels like.

I have at last got my doctor to send me to an orthopeadic surgeon who is sending me for a nerve conduction test.  I'm still waiting for the appointment but at least I am getting somebody to listen.

Hope you can get something sorted out and I will let you know my results.

All the best Brenda C

• Posted

Hi Brenda, I feel for you.  I'm 8 months post op and I'm having the same problem as you with my foot.  I've been complaining since I came out of hospital ands at first I was told it was too soon to tell. At my 7 weeks check the doctor told me it was plantar fasciitus.   I have had this before and I knew it was different.  I have paid for a physiotherapist, chiropractor and been to the podiatry.  They all have  conflicting ideas.  

I eventually got the doctor to send me to a orthopaedic surgeon who is sending me for a nerve conduction test.  When I get the aapointment I will let you know the outcome.

I hope you have more luck than me and I can understand how you feel about people not understanding how you feel.  My doctor told me 12 months.

This is the third time I have attempted this post, hope I'm lucky this time.

All the best Brenda C

• Posted

Hi again it appears the last post was sent so you now have 2 posts, Sorry
  • Posted

Hurrah, at last a medic who admits this surgery takes 12 months to recover from.

I have just returned from a holiday, following hip surgery last Oct & and again in Jan.  Holiday was quite stressful, taking care not to lift using the new hip, and going up/down stairs in old churches and castles .......... and then there's the seating position in the aircraft and coach .... not ideal.

I did have some tightness in the thigh, but thankfully took a folding stick with me.

Let me know how you get on.

Graham

• Posted

Wonderful to hear the trip was such a success. Gives me good hope that I will be able to take full advantage of our holiday next June. Although I don't look forward the air plane seats.

I hope you haveany great memories from the trip.

Take care.

Linda

• Posted

hi graham, 

good for you going on holiday .... 

my surgeon told me too that it might take up to12 months to recover from THR surgery and perhaps even longer --- I did not want to believe him !!!  I thought the 2 x 6 weeks with walking aid was daunting enough --- at that time I was still under the impression that people were running marathons in 4 weeks - you know, the stories we were told and chose to believe ---

wishing Mrs. Rocketman and you a wonderful weekend!

What a wonderful you did with the web site

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Lucky you Renee, no-onetold me it would take that long, until I came onto this forum.  How right they were.

The holiday was exhausting - but I did it without too much trouble (despite my long legs not really fitting in aircraft seats), with a lot of very high steps in castles and churches.

Back to the 2 hour daily commute to and from London now. sad

• Posted

Hi Graham

I'm glad you and your wife had a good holiday.

I've just been away to Bournemouth on a coach trip with my daughter.  We had a great time but I found it very tiring travelling.  I'm 8 months post op and because of my foot I find it such an effort to walk but if I go along slowly I get there in the end.

I'm hoping when I reach the 12 month mark I will see some improvement.

I'm lucky because my legs are oly short I don't need as much leg room.  It takes me a long time to cover an area and friends and family have to keep waiting for me but they have been brilliant.

Keep up the good work 

Brenda C

• Posted

Glad you liked Bournemouth, we had a few days there a few weeks ago and loved it.  

Travelling can be tiring, we had a terrible 6 hour coach trip to Gatwick due to traffic jams.  Even  coming home took over 4 hours as there are no direct coaches to our town, which is under 80 miles away!

It gets easier, I think my commuting in and out of London each day has helped me acclimatise to travelling. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.