OCD

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffer with severe OCD, which started off mild and controllable until I moved house and it has just been a living hell trying to 'deal' with it since then. I have a boyfriend who doesn't understand what I am going through and gives me a hard time over it. I also have a 1 year old who this is affecting as well as I struggle to clean anything in the house as I feel if I clean it still won't be 100% so I just seem to avoid cleaning which as you can imagine isn't hygienic or healthy. I do clean dishes and stuff like that but when it comes to washing clothes or cleaning items like Dvd's and tidying them away, it is a real struggle for me and the weird part is I am not a germ a phob. The reason I cleaned things I had touched befor typing them away was because my partner doesn't have the greatest hygiene and I hate sticky fingers! The thing that is hurting me the most is that we moved house so my Daughter could have her own room and at the moment she is sleeping on the couch with my partner and I as her room still hasn't been decorated yet. Is there ANYTHING I can do or take to get my OCD back to a controllable level like before?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about the spelling errors. Typed this up on a phone so not really the best to type a paragraph on
  • Posted

Can you explain what OCD means. Sorry to show my ignorance about it.
    • Posted

Obsessional compulsive disorder.  In this case Emma cant stop cleaning. Sometimes its "cant stop counting everything", or "cant go out of the house until certain things have been checked in a certain order". 

• Posted

Emma.....are you in UK?   You need some help from your GP. This is such a common disorder and often is worse in new mothers as they struggle to keep everything clean for a new baby.      Is your partner really that bad with his hygiene or are you criticising him too much?     Young children are not bothered if their bedrooms are newly decorated or not and its not a good situation to all be sleeping on a couch.   Most youngsters are better off getting a bit grubby and dirty as it will boost their immune systems and you never will get rid of 100% of the dirt..    Try not to let this condition spoil your early years with a new daughter and new house.   your baby daughter will soon grow up.   
  • Posted

Sounds like you need professional help, like a psychiatrist or counselor. As long as your kitchen and bathroom are clean, I wouldn't worry about the rest of the house!  I have 2 cats and my house is always a mess!  I vacuum one day and the next day it's a mess again!  Years ago I could clean almost everyday! But now that I have health issues, I can't!  So, don't worry about it!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.