OCD and anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I’ve been taking citalpram 10mg for 3 weeks today I was quite calm first few weeks all sudden my anxiety has heighten is this normal on week 3? Starting to worry cit not working as should. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

i have been on them for 10 weeks and still having anxiety attacks I know how hard it is 

but I have came this far so I have to see it through I was on cit for a number of years 

and decided to come off them it has been a roller coaster .

speak to your doctor there are other meds that can help.  🌞

• Posted

I struggled for the first few weeks and had to take diazepam for five days to calm myself down. It can be very rough in the beginning. I’m now on week 7 and the only things I’m struggling with is insomnia and I’m very up and down with the anxiety, but I have to look on the positive that it’s not all downs so I have to keep on going. 
  • Posted

My anxiety was high for the first week after starting and then in week 3 it increased again after I upped my dosage to 20mg.  I think it will probably calm down once you're used to the drug, I've been taking it for 13 weeks and have only had a few small periods of anxiety.

• Posted

From the NHS web site (https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/citalopram/)

Like all medicines, citalopram can cause side effects in some people, but many people have no side effects or only minor ones. Some of the common side effects of citalopram will gradually improve as your body gets used to it. Some people who take citalopram for panic attacks find their anxiety gets worse during the first few weeks of treatment. This usually wears off after a few weeks but speak to your doctor if it bothers you - a lower dose may help reduce your symptoms 

• Posted

Rebecca,

Your still in the early stages . The anxiety comes and goes for the first couple of months. I had to drop from 10 mg to 5 mg and then back up to 10mg. I’m in my 13th week. I still get mild anxiety but the past week it has really. Subsided. I try to go for a walk every day and it helps. It’s a slow process but the med really works. I had every side effect and more. I stuck with it because of the people on here. I’m so glad I stayed with it. My panic attacks are gone 🙏🏻👍🏼😇

Also meditation and cut out caffeine. 

It was hard for me but I focused and did it. Keep us posted how you are doing.

Will😎

• Posted

Just curious when you went down to five from ten ..what did you experience.and why did you go down and then back again..??
    • Posted

I was on 10 mg for my first 6 days and I had uncontrollable shakes I wasn’t sleeping for 5 nights. Sweats and cold. Panic Attacks! The list goes on. As soon as I went down to 5mg my third night I was much better I did stay at 5mg for a total of 6 nights then went back up to 10mg and have been at this ever since. I had a rough 2 1/2 months but I was determined to stick with it after all I read and luckily I found you and the others here. My teeth are better. You pegged it correctly.  I still have upper cheek pain when I touch it when washing my face. But nothing like I had. I also still have head pain when I cough. That is the main reason my dr put me on celexa. He felt the congestion and head pain was from Anxiety. If I have this going forward I’m fine with it. I could deal with it. Im getting back to my normal self. Thanks Lois for asking. Now How are You? 

Will😎

• Posted

Iam much better will .thanks for asking .ever since I switched my med to mornings those little tiny bits of side effects that where lingering diminish..I think that me taking my ziplocone my xanex and celexa all together at night might have had some type of interaction that didn't let those side effects fade..

• Posted

I agree with you on that. I take my celexa in the morning. I take Xanax at night with my blood pressure and cholesterol pill. 
  • Posted

Thanks everyone hopefully will get better over next few weeks/months smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.