OCD and perimenopause

Posted , 16 users are following.

So this is what I think is happening to me and it is really getting to me.I had intrusive thoughts after the birth of my 4 th child and it lasted for about 6 months,but I finally accepted the thoughts as just that and it went away.This time seems much harder,because the thoughts are of me losing my mind and reality.When I have these thoughts it makes my stomach feel weird because of fear,then that causes anxiety and it just keeps feeding itself.It really sucks,because I know I am here and everyone around me is here,but my mind is playing tricks on me.I was

mostly fine today,but then I was reading about adrenaline rushes and someone commented and said they developed schizophrenia during perimenopauseSo,and that triggered the thoughts.I thought what if that is me.It sucks and I want it to stop,but I know the more I think about it the more it's there.Anybody have any words of wisdom about intrusive thoughts and how to avoid them.

God Bless

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I can relate. I've been getting more intrusive thoughts. I'm doing my best to ignore them. Everyone has thoughts, but with OCD we start obsessing over them. The term is Pure OCD. There is a lot of info on YouTube.

• Edited

It should be called pure hell.All of this hormonal s***t,should be called hellmonal.lol
  • Posted

This side of perimenopause sucks... my OCD changes. Intrusive thoughts to germs to health. im struggling to function ... HELP!

• Posted

This side of perimenopause sucks... my OCD changes. Intrusive thoughts to germs to health. im struggling to function ... HELP!

• Edited

Hi,

my pure OCD focuses on my marriage, which causes me great distress. I know it is hormonal as it affected after both my babies, at the start of peri in my early 40s and now in late peri in my early 50s.

It's a nightmare as my ADs dont work anymore (Iknow that can happen in the menopause transition).

I take HRT and it is helping most other symptoms but the OCD - as well as nightsweats - remain.

Please can anyone give me hope that it might improve in the future xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.