OCD, any hope?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been stuck with debilitating OCD since I was 20. I'm about 32 now. I was on zoloft which took the edge off of it. Then about 3 years ago, the medication stopped working. Things started happening that made my brain re assure itself that it was right. It's almost all "If you do (insert here), some (insert terrible thing) will happen."

It latched onto everything I put my life into. Everything I've always enjoyed doing for my entire life I cannot do anymore. I think it caused depression in the progress. I still feel a complete disconnection with everything. I miss doing what I enjoy, and I have a severe longing for my younger days.

As for treatment, I went to my doctor. He switched me from zoloft to paxil and then celexa and the luvox. They didn't help. So I stopped them all together. I went thru a long drawn out withdrawal before settling with not being on these medications. Not being on these medications feels no different than being on them, there's just the plus of no side effects.

I attempted other forms of therapy. No help.

I really just want to go back to enjoying my hobbies without a looming "You can't do this or else." Maybe if that can happen I'll be able to get my life back on track.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

have you tried any form of therapy? Ive heard CBT and ERP are very effective!

• Posted

At 13 became chronically OCD everything had a sequence that I had to do to keep me safe, don't step on cracks, check doors over and over, never say goodbye once, ladders, magpies, ambulances, drinks, to anorexia caused by an obsession with food, to be honest the list is so long the server would pack up lol by the time I reached 30+ my life was controlled by the regime, even dressing had its routine and then one day I I was diagnosed with malnutrition and OCD till then I was just nuts 🤪 I had what I called aversion therapy, now they call it CBT Cognitive Behavioural Therapy it wasn't a quick fix by any means but over time it actually became easier to let go of some of the things I was thinking and doing, I tried medication but I suffer with pharmacopoeia amongst other phobias so that wasn't an option.

You say that you want your life back, their is only one person who can give you that and it's you, or you can carry on with your life as it is and have no life.

One thing I can tell you is that not washing the toilet twice a day, counting steps, seeing magpies etc etc will not cause any one to die or become terminally ill, so first off try to analyse what will happen when you don't or do do something and then I believe you have given yourself the opportunity to repair your mind x

• Posted

I did do the therapy. I did not respond to it very well unfortunately.

• Posted

Not all first time attempts at therapy works mine didn't and don't know of anyone's that did.

I love leelas post it's so on the right route and is from someone who has been their with depression (not depressed for me the opposite)

• Posted

hi. ocd can be a symptom of depression.

Hello my names Leela.

It sounds like you need to find yourself a permanent good doctors surgery where there are many good nice doctors in case one drops out. That's what i did.

I call a supportive helpline like Samaritans or even your doctor. If you feel suicidal you must call the emergency services. They gave me so much love, attention, help and diagnosed me with depression. Now i'm 50 years old and happily on anti-depressants (happy pills) because i didnt have enough happy cells in my brain so i had to top them up. I had to try out a few different ones till i found the right one for me. But I feel much better now.

You may need to see your doctor again to increase your medicine or try a new or extra medicine.

Also they let me try out all different kinds of therapy (one to one or group therapy) to help me feel better and learn to love myself and forgive myself for all the mistakes i'd made in my life.

Many many people would be heartbroken if they knew how you're suffering, including me ! And i dont even know you personally but so many of us feel or felt that same way you do now. So we are all in it together. You are not alone. Just ask for help. Call the emergency services and you will realise just how loved you really are...to people who dont even know you personally !

Lots and lots of sympathetic hugs from your new friend Leela Davis xxx

• Posted

Hello my names Leela.

Call your emergency services for a chat and some advice. Whenever i felt suicidal i called the emergency services. They always gave me so much love, attention, help and diagnosed me with depression. Call the emergency services and you will realise just how loved you really are...to people who dont even know you personally !

Many many people would be heartbroken if they knew how you're suffering, including me ! And i dont even know you personally but so many of us feel or felt that same way you do now. So we are all in it together. You are not alone. Just ask for help. I feel much better now. I just wish Id asked for help sooner.

But however if you're not feeling suicidal then call someone to talk to however hard it is you need to force yourself to get help. Go chat to your doctor. If you dont have a good one then find yourself a big doctors surgery with lots to choose from. That's what i did.

Now i'm happily on anti-depressants (happy pills) because i didnt have enough happy cells in my brain so i had to top them up. I had panic attacks and they cured them. Sometimes i had compulsive eating disorder and traits of OCD re: hygiene. I had insomnia and they cured that. I had to try out various medicine combos till i found the right one for me and i had to stick with it as it can take months to feel the benefits and overcome the side effects but I feel much better now. I just wish Id asked for help sooner. You may need to see your doctor again to increase your medicine or try a new or extra medicine.

Also they let me try out all different kinds of therapy (one to one or group therapy) to help me feel better and learn to love myself and forgive myself for all the mistakes i'd made in my life.

Lots and lots of sympathetic hugs from your new friend Leela xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.