OCD following an Infection is Ruining My Life

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey everyone,

I'm 28 and female.

I've always had a very mild OCD that had me, say, checking door handles four, eight or twelve times and looking at the eyes on any teddies etc when I left rooms. Annoying things, sure, but managable.

Following a Staph aureus / MRSA infection in my leg that formed an ulcer and was left unattended for 4 months by doctors because they said they couldn't help as it was closed up, leading to it being very hard to get rid of and several horrible doctor's visits where they struggled to realise why both my legs were going red (a venous problem, in the end), I developed very acute and serious OCD.

There's now no infection, the wound is closed up and I'm wearing compression stockings for a while to help my vein valves. The docs say there's no infection but I don't believe them because sometimes it feels warm? And because of how badly I've been treated for it last time.

At home I can't touch my legs. I panic and can't touch anything they've touched, or things that touch things that they've touched. For example, I lean my leg on the arm of the sofa to put on the socks, but then my uncle leaned a plate on that arm of the sofa and I couldn't touch it. It's in the think with fairy liquid and hot water and my cup is in the same sink. I can't wash them up. I can't think of drinking from my cup anymore even though if there was any infection the fairy would kill it? And there isn't any infection anyway?

The logic is all there but I can't... It's ruining my life. I can't touch half my house. I feel sick and panicy all the time. I'm staring therapy on the 12th but I just can't... function. I want to cry all the time with worry.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.