OCD health anxiety, bright red blood in stool

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been experiencing mild sharp pains in my stomach, went to toilet and passed bright red blood. I don't mean a few drops it looked like a lot of fresh blood. I was sat straining for a while, doctors seems to think I have IBS and my diet isn't great. I've had the blood tests and other tests including colonoscopy to rule out all the 'bad' things but it's back again and I'm starting to worry again. sad

If I go back to the doctors I know they will just tell me it isn't serious, but seeing that much fresh red blood is scary...

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi i suffer from ibs you might need to up your intake of fibre because blood through straining is normal especially if your constipated
  • Posted

Blood, bright blood, lots of bright blood from the rectum is always serious...ER
  • Posted

Blood always means a visit to a Dr, in any situation. So see a Dr again
  • Posted

You need to see a DR straight away... However, don't panic (if possible!) as this is not ALWAYS serious (but you do need to get it checked out.)

My friend had this and it turned out to be piles which, while being annoying, it certainly isn't life threatening smile

You ahve had some tests of recent to rule out any possible nasties... so try and relax and call your doctor. smile

• Posted

I've had the tests previously. Surely if it was something serious I'd have other symptoms as well. Generally I feel fine though. If it persists I will visit the doctor, it's hopefully a one off through straining, I was sat straining for a while. 😑

• Posted

sometimes certain diets can effect our stools, making them harder to pass. When this happens it can feel very uncomforable (painful even,) during the process and it is normal to find blood on loo roll after cleaning.

If you have actual blood that is in or around your stools in the toilet bowl then that does need addressing.

You say you have had a colonoscopy? That would pick up any growths within the lower intestine, as would your blood tests (they were obviously making sure that it was IBS and so their tests would have specifically looked for any digestive problems.)

Because of these factors I really wouldn't worry at all. By all means, wait to see if this happens again before going to the Doctors.

I commend you for not running to them in blind panic smile

If it does happen again, bear it mind that piles can cause this and simple medication with rectify this but at this point you should get it checked.

• Posted

Bright red blood means fresh blood close to the rectum not the intestines or stomach that would be dark like coffee grounds. Do you have hemorrhoids? Do not strain I had to have a 6 pint blood transfusion from bleeding hemorrhoids!!!!
  • Posted

Quartz,

Make sure not to strain. Hard stool can cause tiny tears which may be causing the bright red blood. Does it only occur when using the toilet? As always, since there is blood involved, make sure you let your doctor know so he/she can properly diagnose. Glad to hear that the colonoscopy and other tests came clear, try not to worry.

I've had the bright red blood several times from stool that is hard to pass, and the pains from the stool passing through the intestine. I also become constipated quite easily. My digestive system is very sensitive, I have to pay more attention to what I eat to ease symptoms, for me it seemed to resolve the blood issue, though I've never braved up for a colonoscopy. I know the bright red blood can be shocking, no one wants to see that, but it heals. You'll be ok. 

• Posted

Hey thanks. I was awake through the night with mild stomach cramps. Passing wind gives slight relief. Going to see the doctor again today to make double sure. I did strain a lot yesterday morning rolleyes my diet is horrendous to be honest, comfort eat all the time. The blood is only there when I go to the loo.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that! Hope the appointment went well, it sounds like hard stool may be causing this. Do you typically use caffeine to ease a bowel movement? Otherwise I'd nearly always be straining to go. 

• Posted

Hey I remember straining quite a bit the other which was the first instance of blood. I have seen the doctor yesterday and she checked me over. Checked blood pressure, temperature, checked my stomach over and my bum 😕 Kinda awkward. She didn't seem too concerned, said she couldn't see anything wrong and that it's more than likely constipation and possibly and abrasion somewhere that's caused the bleeding. She took my blood just to make double sure, get result tomorrow. She told me it will be fine and just essentially continue like normal. This will be day 3 of cramps and stomach aches and pains, bloatedness as well. Seems to come and go quite sporadically and recently, yesterday and today I have been noticing back pain in lower area and upper area, the pain comes and goes but it shoots down my left leg as well. 😕

• Posted

I think your pains may be anxiety related, especially the leg pain. If your GP was worried than I wouldn't be.

How long ago was your colonoscopy? I have heard of people

Experiencing slight tearing from this which can open during bowel movements. If this is the case I do not think it is anything to worry about, either. It will pass.

In the mean time try and eat more fibre.

• Posted

Hey thanks for the supportive comments. My colonoscopy was back in January of this year. They only got halfway through the procedure but I found too uncomfortable to go on. They didn't seem concerned either, it could be a tear from back then. I remember it being a new guy doing the procedure whilst the others were there for support.

• Posted

Constipation isn't fun, I can tell you that. It makes for all sorts of those nasty symptoms. Adding more fiber is great for the colon. Did she say how long it would take for the abrasion to heal and what caused it? Glad it's nothing major but just uncomfortable for the time being. It will pass! As for the back and leg shooting pains, do you remember throwing out your back doing anything strenuous or being turned a weird way? Or it could be muscle tension from anxiety. I get a lot of that in neck/upper back. Try a heating pad and massage, feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.