OCD Obsessive Repetitive Thought Stuck In My Head

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have OCD. Recently I have had a stupid TV ad playing through my head over and over, and it really bothers me. I manage to distract myself from it but not for that long. I always end up going back to me saying it in my head or out loud over and over again and I can hardly stop myself. What should I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have OCD obsessive thoughts too and it totally SUCKS getting a song or clip from a movie stuck in your head. It takes me days to shake it out of my brain. I usually just try to occupy my thoughts with something else. Read a book, watch a movie, or something. 

Anyway, that helps me. Either that or I just listen to the song on repeat until I'm sick of it and that usually does the trick too

• Posted

Known as earworms, these random snippets of songs or melodies pop into our minds repeating themselves again and again like a broken record. For me, another one was that silly jingle from the McDonald's filet-of-fish commercial, which undoubtedly would delight advertisers but I found both amusing and mildly annoying.

So it helps to know that earworms are an incredibly common experience: Studies suggest that 90 percent of people get them at least once a week. Over the last decade, researchers have spent time collecting data to learn who gets earworms, how often they occur, how long they last and which songs won't budge from our brains.

• Posted

omg, the fliet-of-fish jingle! Yes that was stuck in my head for weeks. I would wander around doing my daily routine muttering that nonsense to myself all day. was so glad when i finally got it out of my head. 
  • Posted

you need to get medication for  your ruminating thoughts...I'm sorry but that is the only way they will stop.

And if you do have medication...it seems like it wrong

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.