OCD or "just" Anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mother, her two sisters &her mother (my grandmother) all suffer from OCD (in different forms). I've started to feel that some of my thoughts could be OCD. I'm 28 years old and thought I was in the clear my whole life up until recently. Is it possible that I am beginning to develop OCD now?

I have recently experienced a "surge" in anxiety over the last couple of years. I went through a traumatic event about 6 years ago and began to do things that I knew were irrational (if I leave the Valentine's day decorations up the bad luck will end). I left them up for 2 years before taking them down because all of a sudden i felt like I kept the bad luck around by leaving them up. I have gotten rid of things that I feel may carry the "bad luck" and I have went as far as thinking that if I get rid of everything that my significant other had before we were together (suit cases that he used on his honeymoon from his failed marriage, blankets and clothes) that maybe that will make good things happen. I haven't gotten rid of those things and the thought only happens every once in a while over long spans of time. The thoughts that I have followed through with make me think that I do have it but since there are thoughts that I haven't acted on that I can easily get over and not think about for a long time makes me think I couldn't possibly have OCD. I don't perform rituals (that I am aware of) which is another reason I'm confused. Is there such a thing as borderline OCD?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think everyone can have a mild OCD occurrence from time to time but if you are worried then you should see your GP and let them know your history and fears.  They will be able to give the help you need if they feel you require it.
    • Posted

Thank you. I don't really feel like it affects my daily living and general anxiety is the forefront of my problems. I wasn't sure if I was just dismissing it because I was comparing myself to my mother or if there were different "levels" so to speak. I'm always afraid that I develop it because of the family history and I've seen how much pain out causes my mother.

• Posted

I would suggest writing some of the things down what cause you to get anxious and next time you see your GP mention it to get their opinion. 
  • Posted

I too get the "good luck/bad luck" thing going on. Like I have to make sure my pillow is the right way on the bed before I start my day. If the picture on my pillow is upside down, it is bad luck. I never researched too much on OCD, as I don't think it's negatively affecting my life.

So my spices are alphabetical, my clothes are hung by color, my t-shirts are folded and stacked by color; I wear matchhing underwear, bra, socks, with my outer clothing, etc. Who am I hurting? No one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.